Excel to OO problem

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Chudleigh

Excel to OO problem

Post by Chudleigh »

Attempt_B.ods
(32.8 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
I have been sent a document created in Excel from the Gedmatch site. The text does not fall into the columns of the Open Office spreadsheet (copy attached). My correspondent has looked at my document and made the following comments:-

" My version of Open Office will not allow any realignment of the data in the spreadsheet attached to your message. Your sheet can be copied to my OO. The column functions remain inoperable and the data locked in place! Your sheet was checked to see if the file was marked “read-only,” and it is a fully open file.

Excel created the original file. Your version of the sheet will not translate back to Excel which makes no sense. Excel will not paste the copied file."

I am a completed beginner in spreadsheets. Please can anyone advise as to how to rectify this problem? I am using OO4.1.1 on Windows 8.

Chudleigh
Open Office 4.1.1 installed on Windows 8
RoryOF

Re: Excel to OO problem

Post by RoryOF »

As far as I can see (and I'm not a Calc expert), you have inserted an image (i.e., a picture) of the Excel file, not the data. You should start again. Start up OpenOffice and /File /Open, navigating to the .xls file you have received. That instance should open correctly.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

I won't claim to be a Calc expert, though I do use it a lot, and I have to concur with Rory's comments.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
gerard24
Volunteer

Post by gerard24 »

This "image" looks like an OLE object.

Clic on the picture, you will see green handles.
Then double-clic inside the picture, a vertical scrollbar appears.

Cells now are editable but the best is:
Ctrl+A to select all the cells, then Ctrl+C to copy.
Paste to a new sheet.
Then you can delete the 1st sheet.
LibreOffice 6.4.5 on Windows 10