[Solved] Are there tutorials or videos I can learn from?

Not sure where to post? Post here!
thepro

[Solved] Are there tutorials or videos I can learn from?

Post by thepro »

Hi guys,

I am new to OpenOffice, is there any tutorials or youtube videos that I can use to learn from?
Generateur de Credits Fifa 15
Would like to get to the stage where I can teach my family how to use Office, but first I must feel competent at it.

Thanks
Last edited by thepro on Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 3.1 on windows 8.1
acknak

Re: New to Office

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documen ... ser_Guides

Tutorials for OpenOffice

There are lots of how to videos on YouTube.

And feel free to ask here if you get stuck--don't worry about asking beginner questions: we were all beginners once.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
crusader
Volunteer

Re: New to OpenOffice

Post by crusader »

acknak wrote:Greetings and welcome to the community forum!
+1

Couple of thoughts for you, thepro:

1. Depending on your experience with other Office Suites (open source or otherwise), you may need very little to no tutoring in OO. If you have little to no experience with other Office Suites, you can also take advantage of the abundance of books (and other trainng material) for M$ Office. The principles are the same, especially for wordprocessor, spreadsheet, and presentation applications. A book for an older version of M$ Office would work too.

2. Your signature line indicates you are using Open Office 3.1. There is a newer, more robust version you may wish to download: it spices up life. :)

Enjoy – and spread the word about OO.
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
In a world without walls, who needs Window$.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: New to OpenOffice

Post by John_Ha »

If you are starting from fresh I would recommend LibreOffice as it is more up to date than AOO especially when exchanging files with MS Word.

Also see the Writer FAQ, the up to date AOO Writer for Students.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

In Writer, set View > Non-printing characters ..., to ON - it shows you what is happening. It will save much time.

Go through all the options in Tools > Options and set appropriately to your use. Especially, set up automatic Backup copies and AutoRecovery.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a description of differences and for why you should always work in, and save Writer files as .odt, Calc files as .ods, Impress files as .odp etc.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.