[Solved] Office Writer Font Size Not Reflective of Number

Discuss the word processor
mrsyrious

[Solved] Office Writer Font Size Not Reflective of Number

Post by mrsyrious »

Hello,

This is my first post so I apologize if it's in the wrong area but I have an issue with the font size in my writer. I'm not too familiar
with writer but currently I'm writing a text document in font Courier New Size 12. Later in the document, it is still font size 12
however the font size is almost microscopic. If I increase the size to 22, it then seems to match the normal size from before.
I have transferred the document between open office and MS Word in the past, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by RoryOF on Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Solved] and green tick. [RoryOF, Moderator]
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
RusselB

Re: Office Writer Font Size Not Reflective of Number

Post by RusselB »

Does the entire document appear small when you're seeing the smaller size, or is it just part of the document?
If it's the entire document, then look at the bottom right hand corner of your screen.
In that corner you will see a percentage, which reflects the viewing percentage of the document. Normally it should read 100% when writing/editing a document, unless you've manually changed it.
If it doesn't, then you can change it by right clicking on the number and choosing one of the options that pops up, or use the sliding scale immediately to the left to increase/decrease the size as you wish.

If it's just part of the document, then I suspect that you're continuing a smaller font size from earlier in the document.
To check this, put your cursor to the position just before the smaller text and make note of the font style and size.
Next use your right arrow key to move your cursor to the right one "space" (ie: character) at a time, making note of the same information at each location.
When you see the font style and/or size change, then you'll know where the trouble starts.
You should be able to highlight the smaller text, then set the font style & size to what you're expecting, and it should change it to that.

Let us know how things work out for you so we can take further information into account before making more recommendations.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
mrsyrious

Post by mrsyrious »

The scale slider is at 90%, as it is what I always use when typing. When I put the two conflicting fonts side by side on different pages
and click on each respective parts of the paragraph body, they have the same font style and size 12, however the font on the left is noticeably smaller despite being
the same font size as the other part of the body text. I've attached a screenshot to illustrate. It should be stressed that both font sizes are Courier New Size 12 font.

Thanks again.
Attachments
open office.gif
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try selecting your small type and press Ctrl M. If that doesn't restore it to correct size leave it selected and choose "Clear Formatting" from the style window at left of formatting toolbar.
 Edit: Alternately select the small style and apply Character style Default to it - I suspect Character Style Rubies may be applied to the type in question. {Later} Perhaps a Superscript /Subscript style may have been applied to the text. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

While the screen shot is nice to have, would you be willing to upload the actual document?
I have no idea as to why this is happening, and having the actual document would allow me to play with things as they occur to me to see if they make any difference rather than suggesting, then waiting for you to try, then waiting for you to reply, then you waiting (possibly) for more suggestions from me (or other helpers).
Please note that there is a 128k limit for uploading attachments to the forum. If your document is bigger than this, please upload it to an online storage location (aka cloud). Personally I like Dropbox, but there are lots of others.
If your document contains classified information, then please read this post
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
mrsyrious

Post by mrsyrious »

Ctrl+M seems to have worked! I suppose the formatting just needed to be reset.
Thank you so much to everyone who posted, it was a big help!