[Solved] Can OpenOffice be used as a contact manager?

Not sure where to post? Post here!
smithid

[Solved] Can OpenOffice be used as a contact manager?

Post by smithid »

I'm just getting started with OpenOffice and any advice would be deeply appreciated.

I did a search here for "contact manager" but found no results.

I'm trying to get a database that is fully searchable and also has the ability to set up reminders.

I have been using the commercial program Sage ACT! for years but don't like the fact that the database is proprietary. Open source makes so much sense!

This is for my desktop with Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7.

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this!
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun May 29, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved], possible with Base -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
RusselB

Re: Can OpenOffice be used as a contact manager?

Post by RusselB »

As to the Database portion, Base is the OpenOffice section that you want/need.
Since you already have a database, you might be able to import it directly to OOBase. If you can't, then you might need to save it in a different format.
As to reminders, sorry, but I'm unsure as to how that could be done... presuming that you're looking for the same type of reminder that I'd probably be wanting, specifically an audio and/or visual reminder that will show automatically.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

There was a thread in this forum about reminders viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25833 some time ago (2012-12). Anthony's contribution to it linked a still functional URL delivering an article from LINUXUSERS magazine (2009) by Dmitri Popov claiming to show how to do it with OO Base. (I never tested it!)
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
smithid

Post by smithid »

Thank you both for your kind assistance.

I'll wait to see if anyone else has any suggestions before I close this topic on my side.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7