[Solved] What Extension to save as?

Not sure where to post? Post here!
pamap

[Solved] What Extension to save as?

Post by pamap »

Even though I was not able to register as using OpenOffice 4 that is what I am using on a New PC with Windows 7. It appears as though everything is working fine, but when I went to save my first Word document that was initially created on my Old PC using Windows XP and Office 97 it gave me several choices for Saving the file as. That is my question - what is the recommended Version/Extension to save Files in Word, Excel & Powerpoint that will not create issues when I want to re-open / edit & save again. And possibly send to a friend that is using Microsoft Office or just copy and paste into a email?

Thanks,
Marty
Last edited by pamap on Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: What Extension to SAVE as?

Post by RoryOF »

Best to work on OpenOffice's native format (,odt for text). Save As to Ms Office 97/2000/XP for best readability in Word.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Re: What Extension to SAVE as?

Post by Hagar Delest »

pamap wrote:Even though I was NOT able to register as using OpenOffice 4
Sorry for the inconvenience, the field in the registration form has not been updated yet. You can change it once registered.

In addition to RoryOF advice, you can also export to PDF if the file doesn't have to be edited by someone else. It insures the same rendering whatever the platform is.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10