Transfer files from OpenOffice to Office 2010

Not sure where to post? Post here!
damianspower

Transfer files from OpenOffice to Office 2010

Post by damianspower »

I have been using OpenOffice for sometime but now have Office 2010. How do I transfer files from Openoffice to Office 2010?
Presently I can only open files with OpenOffice
openoffice 3.1 on windows 7
FJCC

Re: Transfer files from Openoffice to Office 2010

Post by FJCC »

I believe Office 2010 should open your files, though perhaps with different levels of success depending on what format they are stored in. If you start Office 2010 and do the equivalent of File -> Open and select one of your files, what happens? I'm completely unfamiliar with the user interface of that software, so I can't tell you the exact command. In my Office 2007 I would click on the "Office" button at the top left and select Open.
It is also important to know what format you files are in. Did you save them in the native OpenOffice formats such as .odt and .ods? If so, Office 2010 may not handle them perfectly. In Office 2007, Excel strips all of the formulas out of .ods spreadsheets, basically destroying them. I don't know if they improved that behavior in later Office versions. You may have to investigate Office's behavior and decide if you will have to open the original files in OpenOffice, save them in the appropriate Microsoft Office format and then work with them in Office 2010. The export filters in OpenOffice are not perfect, so you will have to decide which method is least painful. You may just want to keep OpenOffice for your old files and use Office 2010 for new ones.
Having a single document format would eliminate all of this pain, but there are now two ISO standards, the Open Document Format supported by OpenOffice and several other office suites and OOXML that is only supported (and not rigorously), as far as I know, by Microsoft. Having two standards seems silly, but Microsoft wields a lot of power.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Transfer files from Openoffice to Office 2010

Post by Villeroy »

Regardless of the operating system or any installed office suites, you can always export to PDF which is readable on any device, even smart phones. Most PDF readers can fill out forms and add comments, otherwise PDF is not editable. It is like a virtual paper print. So File>Export as PDF is the way to go.

If -- and only if -- the MS Office user is supposed to edit your document, then you should call File>Save-As... File Type: MS Word 97/XP/2000(*.doc).

File>Send>"Email as MS Word" and File>Send>"Email as PDF" attach a *.doc or *.pdf file to a new email.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
damianspower

Re: Transfer files from OpenOffice to Office 2010

Post by damianspower »

Although I can open certain files with Office 2010 when I click on some odt files it says: "The system cannot find the file specified" or "Word cannot open the file because the file format does not match the file extension" Any suggestions?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You have a problem with MS Word. You paid for their software. Why don't you ask MS for help?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
damianspower

Post by damianspower »

Thanks. That is my next step.