[Solved] Screen shot/clipping

Not sure where to post? Post here!
ntdatter

[Solved] Screen shot/clipping

Post by ntdatter »

Hi everyone,

I am totally new to this forum. I have been using Open Office for a while and I like it very much. It suits my needs as a college student very well. For the last few days, I have been using the 6-months free version of MS office 365. It has the screen shot/clipping under "insert." I find this to be an extremely handy tool. Before I had to use "print screen" then use paint to cut what I want, then paste into my document. Screen shot/clipping makes this process very fast and easy.

So my question is, does anyone know if Open Office can do this? or has something similar?

Thank you so much! :-)
Last edited by ntdatter on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Re: Screen shot/clipping

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

No such feature. I'm not in favor of such thing. Better use a picture manager (XnView is a very good one) and optimize the picture (crop, color depth, ...). Then save it in the appropriate format. Else, you may get jpg pics embedded as png, hence increasing the file.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

You can crop images pasted into OOo Writer: Select the image; right-click > Picture > Crop.

Unfortunately, the cropping is not interactive, so it's no less trouble than just using an image editor (Hagar's option).

You can paste the image into OOo Draw--interactive cropping is supported in Draw--then copy/paste into Writer.

But in either case, the cropping in OOo is non-destructive: it doesn't actually remove any of the image data. So the document can become very large with lots of full-screen images.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
ntdatter

Post by ntdatter »

thank you Hagar and Acknak for your suggestions.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7