Can OpenOffice read wps docs ?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
StanS

Can OpenOffice read wps docs ?

Post by StanS »

Spent a while looking in "search" but didn't find anything.

Trying to transfer many wps docs written on my windows machine using MS works word processor 2007 (think it was the 2003-2007 version)
If I convert the files to doc it will read the headers/footers, but I don't want to convert several hundred documents to doc if possible. :ouch:

Did I make a wise choice changing to Apple ??? At the moment, the hours spent trying to get it working make the answer NO !!!! :crazy:

Any help please ??
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved topic about Microsoft Works from Beginners forum to MS Windows
OpenOffice 3.4 on Mac OSX 10.7.4
RoryOF

Re: Can OpenOffice read wpd docs ?

Post by RoryOF »

Seee this thread and the threads linked off it:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =6&t=54910

The reason you might not have had much success with Search was that the Forum search engine does not handle three letter terms (to speed up indexing); you would have more success searching for WordPerfect, but the above link sumarises the state of play.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
StanS

Re: Can OpenOffice read wps docs ?

Post by StanS »

Thanks for the reply. I mistakenly (from poor memory) thought the MS Works Word Processor files were wpd, but on checking realised they were wps so had edited my post.
Sorry.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Libreoffice can open these files.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

On the few (very rare) occasions I have transferred from one word processor to another - from memory, Naspen (z80 based circa 1978-9)) to Wordstar (z80) to Wordstar (PC) to MS Word to StarOffice to OpenOffice - I have found it best to do the transfer of everything, rather than to do it "on demand". With the continual alteration (I won't say "development") of the computer scene, it suddenly comes about that the transfer method either is unavailable because so rarely needed after the lapse of time, or won't run on current operating systems, provoking a frantic search for a suitable machine with or to run an older OS. So I advise transferring everything and being done with it!
StanS

Post by StanS »

Thanks for the rapid responses guys and the link Thomas ! :D

Looking for the easiest route as there is quite a bit to transfer.

Please excuse my ignorance Rory, but when you say transfer everything (which is what I'd like to do with all my works and word documents, as I plan to ditch the old windows desktop and get the new iMac when it comes out so I'll be completely on Apple) how do you do it (if its not too involved) ? :oops: :?

Thanks again.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Sometimes one can get a utility which does the transfer, and this can be driven by a batch(script) file to feed each file of a directory into the transfer utility. If you can get your files into .doc format, you are halfway there, as OpenOffice can read doc format. You can then put them through /File /Wizard /Document converter to finish the conversion into OpenOffice formats. You may even be able to automate the sending of files to Zamzar with some suitable batch file (no, I don't have one!).

Be aware that there are likely to be some formatting irregularities; usually these don't matter as old documents are often needed only as a record of what was done, and how it is displayed is largely irrelevant.
StanS

Post by StanS »

So after all the advice, I opened the works doc on the desk top and saved it as a word doc 97-2003 which saved it in rtf. I closed the original doc and opened the rtf doc and saved it as a word doc which then made it a .doc format.
This was the only way I could find with the drop down options on my old works version.
I then mailed it to myself and saved it as a .doc and also as anOpenOffice format doc.
Just got to do the same for the rest of the docs !!! :crazy:

There must be an easier way for those who know more than how to switch a PC on ! :knock:
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

As well as Zamzar there is also this utility for text documents (I don't know what type of document .wps is).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
osnola

Post by osnola »

StanS wrote:So after all the advice, I opened the works doc on the desk top and saved it as a word doc 97-2003 which saved it in rtf. I closed the original doc and opened the rtf doc and saved it as a word doc which then made it a .doc format.
This was the only way I could find with the drop down options on my old works version.
I then mailed it to myself and saved it as a .doc and also as anOpenOffice format doc.
Just got to do the same for the rest of the docs !!! :crazy:

There must be an easier way for those who know more than how to switch a PC on ! :knock:
Hello,
if your documents are not too complex, you can test LibreOffice 3.5 ( ie. it can retrieve the text with the fonts' and the paragraphs' formating but not the picture, the text box, the table, ...). On the mac, you need to download LibreOffice and copy it in the Applications repository ( if you want to remove it, just put it in the Trash ). On the pc, you can for instance copy your documents on an USB key and use it to retrieve the documents on the Mac.

If your documents are more complex, the best solution is to convert them on the PC using either Microsoft Works or Microsoft Word and them retrieve them with a USB key or an external disk.

osnola.

Note: if you have also Works spreadsheet, database, the only solution is to convert them first on the pc.
OpenOffice 3.4 with MacOS 10.6
StanS

Post by StanS »

Thank you so much for the help, Rory, osnola, Tom, Kingfisher :super:
Was getting tired last night so having found a system that worked, I just got in the rhythm and transferred about 8 at a time, then finally gave up. Will investigate the other methods today. IIRC I may have to uninstall OO before installing LibreOffice, but I'll check it out.

What a great forum - especially for newbies to Macs. Looking forward to being able to start work using it !! Meanwhile, back to investigating the other conversion sites/transferring ! :lol:
RGB

Post by RGB »

StanS wrote: IIRC I may have to uninstall OO before installing LibreOffice, but I'll check it out.
No need for that: you can have both programs running side by side.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Saturday, July 07, 2012
StanS wrote:There must be an easier way for those who know more than how to switch a PC on ! :knock:
[1] Never use the works native format - they are far too unique.

[2] Use LibreOffice to open the wps files.

[3] If by chance they are an older works format (yes there are two wps standards), then you will need to find a copy of StarOffice 5, 6, 7, or 8.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
osnola

Post by osnola »

PGAGA wrote:Saturday, July 07, 2012
[3] If by chance they are an older works format (yes there are two wps standards), then you will need to find a copy of StarOffice 5, 6, 7, or 8.
Phil
Hello PGAGA, just for note,
LibreOffice 3.6 will contain an improved filter for older wps format ( from Microsoft Works Dos 1.0 up to Microsoft Works 4.5.0) which tries to retrieve much more data ( even if the old filter in LibreOffice 3.5 can already retrieve the text with some formatting ) ; so if you have very old Microsoft Works documents, loading the beta version of LibreOffice 3.6 can be another thing to test...

However, in this case, Stans's documents seemed to be Microsoft Works 2003-2007's document, so downloading the beta version of LibreOffice will not help a lot :-~

osnola.
StanS

Post by StanS »

:lol:
I turn my back for a while and when I return there's another load of help !!!!!! :D

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

It seems that the wodge of files (120K words of book) I've transferred are working OK re editing and transfer. I just need to suss out how to change the font size of the number of the footnotes in OO.
I just did those files for now so I can carry on working. I'll investigate the other methods when I get to a dry spell.

Seems there is an inherent problem for people who buy a PC with preloaded software, then have the cheek to keep using it for so long that what they thought was an "industry standard software package" (MS Office/Works) turns out to be so incompatible. :crazy:

So what software do you guys use on a mac instead of MS office/works for word processing that has as much editing/formatting etc. + that transfers easily/fully Mac- MS-Mac - is there such a thing ?

cheers,
Stan
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Monday, July 09, 2012
StanS wrote:So what software do you guys use on a mac instead of MS office/works for word processing that has as much editing/formatting etc. + that transfers easily/fully Mac- MS-Mac - is there such a thing ?
See my signature.

Phil
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Monday, July 09, 2012
osnola wrote:LibreOffice 3.6 will contain an improved filter for older wps format ( from Microsoft Works Dos 1.0 up to Microsoft Works 4.5.0) which tries to retrieve much more data ( even if the old filter in LibreOffice 3.5 can already retrieve the text with some formatting ) ; so if you have very old Microsoft Works documents, loading the beta version of LibreOffice 3.6 can be another thing to test...
I had thought some work was being done on the filter. Since I have old files with which to test, I will.

Phil
osnola

Post by osnola »

Hello StanS,
StanS wrote::lol:
Seems there is an inherent problem for people who buy a PC with preloaded software, then have the cheek to keep using it for so long that what they thought was an "industry standard software package" (MS Office/Works) turns out to be so incompatible. :crazy:
this is the major problem with the proprietary formats, if the editor does not provide the software on other platforms or stop development, the documents are difficult to retrieve/convert...
So what software do you guys use on a mac instead of MS office/works for word processing that has as much editing/formatting etc. + that transfers easily/fully Mac- MS-Mac - is there such a thing ?
if you need to keep compatibility with Microsoft format and if you write simple documents, OpenOffice, NeoOffice, LibreOffice, ... can be a solution ( just export them in Word when you want to send them ). If you write complex documents and the receiver refuses to install OpenOffice, LibreOffice, ... , it will be difficult to avoid using/buying Microsoft Office as the conversion can change some details. So it is preferable to first test what happens on some of your documents, ...

Note: another solution is to export them in pdf ( if the receiver does not need to modify the document ), then you are free to choose your editor or to use different editors for different kind of documents ...
PGAGA wrote: I had thought some work was being done on the filter. Since I have old files with which to test, I will.
Ok, let me know if you find some problems, ...
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Tuesday, July 10, 2012
osnola wrote:
PGAGA wrote: I had thought some work was being done on the filter. Since I have old files with which to test, I will.
Ok, let me know if you find some problems, ...
A very quick test with beta 3 3.6 and one 2.0 wps shows that it works fine.

Phil