[Solved] How to open MS Office x files

Not sure where to post? Post here!
BrianCox

[Solved] How to open MS Office x files

Post by BrianCox »

Hello

I'm new to OO and use a PC as a tool, so I don't tinker about so I'm perhaps a bit naive on these matters.
I found forum posts in which reference is made to settings etc but I have no idea where to set those!
Please could you offer a really simple step-by-step guide to making OO handle docx, pptx, xlsx, etc files.
If there's something else to download, please offer the URL for it.
I work voluntarily for a large NPO and some of my co-volunteers use MS, I use OO, and we need to exchange files.
I'm using OpenOffice 3.4 (downloaded last night) and Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks! :D
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 3.4 on Windows7 HomePremium
RoryOF

Re: How to open MS Office x files

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice does not reliably handle docx etc files. It may open them, but doesn't, as far as I know, save them. If you can, get your collaborators to work in .doc etc (i.e. non ---x files), but even at that there can be problems.

Some versions of LibreOffice are reported to handle the ---x files better, but I have no experience of this. Perhaps someone else can supply the information.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RGB

Post by RGB »

If I understand correctly what happens on the mailing lists, AOO 3.4.1 (end of July) will have several improvements on the import filters that come, more or less directly, from Symphony's contribution. But as Rory said, AOO do not export to whatever-x formats, only read them.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

some of my co-volunteers use MS, I use OO, and we need to exchange files.
Tell them to either join you and use AOO and the ODT format for exchange or send you the documents in DOC, not DOCX.
Some versions of LibreOffice are reported to handle the ---x files better, but I have no experience of this
I do have such experience with DOCX. LibO can save to DOCX but does this so badly that it’s not suitable for exchange with MSO users.
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)
BrianCox

Post by BrianCox »

Thanks! That was fast!

Unfortunately some of my collaborators use their work PCs on which their company rules dictate what may and may not be used. Feeble, but true.
Anyway, thanks, I'll save in doc etc format as I have done already. Although I find OO doesn't want to open ---x files. Any tips? Is there an "update"? I look forward to end July!
OpenOffice 3.4 on Windows7 HomePremium
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

BrianCox wrote:Thanks! That was fast!

Unfortunately some of my collaborators use their work PCs on which their company rules dictate what may and may not be used. Feeble, but true.
Anyway, thanks, I'll save in doc etc format as I have done already. Although I find OO doesn't want to open ---x files. Any tips? Is there an "update"? I look forward to end July!
You might want to install LibreOffice as well as OOo. I cannot say from personal experience but there seems to be a feeling that LO handles MS -> LO -> MS a bit better than OOo at least up to the most recent OOo release.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04