WHAT OpenOffice.org Base Switchboard CAN DO

Not sure where to post? Post here!
fendy012

WHAT OpenOffice.org Base Switchboard CAN DO

Post by fendy012 »

Dear all..

im novice. hope you all can help me how to create website on local area network (LAN).i already create one Data base, Tables, Queries, Report and form by using OpenOffice.org 3.4, but how to change to website that have Servay Form with data entry, queries, report and filing record.

sorry if my english language is not satisfactory, i use goole translate.
=========================================================================================================
by DACM » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:38 am

Base can be used to access a database hosted by a web server. This can be useful in some cases. But building a web-hosted database application is another matter. You'll need considerable knowledge and design-skills associated with the database itself. Base Queries, Forms and Reports will not run within a web browser, so all users must install OpenOffice. Thus, Base is not a good choice for building web database applications.

MS Access 2010 is designed for web deployment including browser-based Forms. But the automated tools drive you into the Microsoft ecosystem of SharePoint services and adoption of the MS SQL Server database. All at a price. Skilled MS Access 2010 users may be able to bypass the automation and create an open-source, web-hosted database application, but I'm not quite sure if this is possible.

Otherwise, novices will find various 'web-form' services easier than creating a web-hosted database application, especially for something like a simple survey.

See:
https://www.google.com/search?aq=f&suge ... =web+forms
for example:
http://www.emailmeform.com/v-plans.html

=========================================================================================================
dear all..

base on info above.. i want to create servay form that can collect information and provide Report for all data entry.. and it will only run on local area network (LAN). are OpenOffice.org Base Switchboard can settle this problem or any other ways.

tq
OpenOffice.org 3.4 / Win Xp (Novice User)
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: WHAT OpenOffice.org Base Switchboard CAN DO

Post by Villeroy »

Base is not a database program. All the tools plugged to your database depend on the database but your database exists independently from this office suite (except for the very special exception of embedded HSQL).
First you create some database. Then you connect a Base document to it. That's all.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
rudolfo
Volunteer

Post by rudolfo »

fendy012 wrote:it will only run on local area network (LAN).
If it is running on a network, no matter if accessible from the internet or restricted to LAN users only, you already have concurrent multiple user access to your database. A file based database as the default embedded HSQLDB database cannot handle this reliably. Follow the advice in DCAMs signature on how to run HSQLDB in server mode or use a server based database like MySQL or PosgreSQL.

In case of the server based database your Base Forms and Reports will just be another client that accessses your database server along with some web based PHP Scripts, other Programs using ODBC or JDBC or other users that use the Base forms at the same time in parallel.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
fendy012

Post by fendy012 »

thank for the info..

i will create new subject HOW TO CREATE SERVAY FORM
OpenOffice.org 3.4 / Win Xp (Novice User)