Spicebird and Integration

Not sure where to post? Post here!
enderandrew

Spicebird and Integration

Post by enderandrew »

I did use the Search feature and saw there were a few threads asking about PIM support. I know that OpenOffice contributes code to the Thunderbird project, and that Thunderbird is seen unofficially as the email client to use alongside OOo even though they aren't integrated.

I saw on the OOo wiki that someone suggested looking at Spicebird instead, and this got me really excited. Has there been any serious discussion about this?

Also, what exactly do people want in terms of integration with an email client? I'm not sure that most people realize that OOo is one app, as opposed to seperate apps the way that Microsoft does things. At the very least, I'd like to see:
  • A theme for Thunderbird/Spicebird that allows the UI to look consistent across the apps.
    The apps link to each other. For instance, in Outlook you can choose to use a simple internal editor, or use the Word engine to edit. An integrated email client should allow you to edit your draft in Writer, and use all the features therein, and then switch back easily to Thunderbird/Spicebird to send.
    Mail-merge wizard should be able to use your contact list/address book as a data source.
    Integrated help files.
    Shared spellcheck engine and dictionary.
Thoughts, suggestions?
EdH
Volunteer

Re: Spicebird and Integration

Post by EdH »

enderandrew wrote:and that Thunderbird is seen unofficially as the email client to use alongside OOo
There is no integration at all for the moment so I wouldn't agree that it is the email client to use alongside, the user can use whatever they want as there is no integration. I have specifically left Thunderbird because I didn't like the fact Mozilla programs don't integrate well with anything.
OOoSVN - Version control for OOo documents under Unix
LibreOffice on Arch Linux
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Spicebird and Integration

Post by Villeroy »

EdH wrote: There is no integration at all for the moment so I wouldn't agree that it is the email client to use alongside, the user can use whatever they want as there is no integration. I have specifically left Thunderbird because I didn't like the fact Mozilla programs don't integrate well with anything.
There is a read-only driver for the address book so you can use TB's addresses for mail-merge. You can filter and sort them through simple SQL-queries and create reports.
File>New>Database...
[X] Connect to existing database, type: Thunderbird
[X] Register database
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice