Saving pictures if you don't use an image editor

Not sure where to post? Post here!
jcdenton2k

Saving pictures if you don't use an image editor

Post by jcdenton2k »

Normally, at least for Windows XP/Vista/7 users:
-To take a screenshot you hit 'Print Screen' on your keyboard.
-Then you open up the built-in version of Paint and Control-V to paste it in

For those like me who didn't want to use Paint or rarely had a use for it, you can use the 'OpenOffice Writer' for the same thing!
I discovered this when trying to save screenshots for college class.

Do the Print Screen as normal, paste it into a new text document in OpenOffice Writer, and then you can right click the inserted picture and 'Save Graphics' to save it as PNG, BMP, JPG or almost w/e you need. You can also right click and select 'Picture' to edit the picture a bit.

I figured this might help some people but didn't know where to post it.

:)
Open Office 3.3x
Win7 x64
Hagar Delest

Re: Saving pictures if you don't use an image editor

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

There are also nice (and lightweight) pictures managers that do a pretty work. Personally, I use XnView (available in English), useful to crop the pic just before saving.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Re: Saving pictures if you don't use an image editor

Post by acknak »

jcdenton2k wrote:... You can also right click and select 'Picture' to edit the picture a bit.
I'm not so sure about this. Most of the changes that you can apply to an image using OOo will only change how OOo displays the image--they don't actually change the image data at all. So when you save the image out to its own file, you only save the original image data.

Also, what happens if you take a screenshot, then paste onto the desktop? Does that save an image file? I always used Paint myself, but it seems there should be some way to save the clipboard to a file without invoking any helper application.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23