[Solved] Download just one portion, not the whole 144meg

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
jabberwocky

[Solved] Download just one portion, not the whole 144meg

Post by jabberwocky »

I'd like to download just one portion, not the whole 144meg, how can? If not, why not?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
jabberwocky

Re: I'd like to download just one portion, not the whole 144

Post by jabberwocky »

Additionally I see that it let's me install them separately, so why do I need them all together?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Because of module usage there is no great space or download saving in downloading individual modules. Installing individual modules by Custom Install often results in missing functionality.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

The software is bundled into compressed files. It is like any other software, it comes as a package.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
rudolfo
Volunteer

Post by rudolfo »

You have touched a crucial area of office suites. Although quite a lot of people are brainwashed by Microsoft and thinking that you need MS Excel or a clone of Excel to work with .xls file (and similar for MS Word and .doc files) this so called Vendor lock-in is not true for OpenOffice documents. OOo documents (in their native format) follow a XML standard: ODF (Open Document Format). Because it is an open format several applications can use it and work with it. OpenOffice is only one of maybe 20 or 30 applications that can work with ODF files. Probably one of the most advanced, but definitly not the only one.

So if you are looking for something smaller as OOo you can try abiword for word processing and gnumeric if you want to work with spreadsheets. Both are less then 20 MByte.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
tddrake
Banned

Post by tddrake »

I have not tried this but maybe if you download the Portable Apps version of Open Office and then delete the folders and dependencies of other stuff that you don't need.

I know that it is not the solution, but maybe this work-around will work for you.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista