[Solved] E-mailing and Editing PDFs

Not sure where to post? Post here!
mrshumes

[Solved] E-mailing and Editing PDFs

Post by mrshumes »

Hello Everyone,

Someone sent me a PDF doc edited in OO, as an attachment via e-mail. How do I convert the PDF to edit it, then send it back to them?

Thank you.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open Office 3.1 on Windows XP
kingfisher
Volunteer

Re: E-mailing and Editing PDFs

Post by kingfisher »

There are applications that will convert pdf to text and, perhaps, other formats. At least one has been mentioned on the forum. I suggest that you search the forum and the internet. I have used nitro (or nitropdf, not sure) to extract text from a pdf.

What I would probably do is ask the 'someone' to send you something you can edit. It is really stupid to send a file to someone for editing in a format which cannot be edited.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

There is an extension for OOo to import PDF but the result may be rather strange.
Remember that the PDF is not a format to be edited, this is a file for print only (either on screen or on paper).

If the PDF has fields to be filled in, the best is to fill in them and then print that PDF with a virtual printer (like PDFCreator).

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
rudolfo
Volunteer

Post by rudolfo »

Maybe the solution is much easier. If the original author used OpenOffice to create the pdf, there is a small chance that it is a hybrid file, meaning the pdf has not only the printable pdf content but also the orginal .odt document embedded. In that case the size is typically larger as a simple pdf and you can open the pdf directly in OOo Writer and save it as .odt.
But frankly if the person who sent it to you had in mind that you edit the document and that you have OOo installed, it doesn't make sense to send a hybrid pdf if he or she could have as well send .odt document.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
mrshumes

Post by mrshumes »

Thank you all of you....

I still have questions and I have searched this forum for "PDF" and have not found the answer.

Here is what is going on... I have and use OO. I recently partnered with another person out of state on a joint venture who does not have OO. I asked her to download it but she is still not comfortable with it. I thought if I could send her a document for her to edit as an attachment in PDF format then she could take it out of PDF format, edit it and send it back to me. When I copy and paste into the body of an e-mail then I lose formatting so that is why we decided to go with the PDF format but then the other person has to have the ability to edit the document.

I have seen more than one Nitro Reader available on the 'Net. Does the Nitro reader and which one work with OO? If any of you have a trusted Nitro link for download that works with OO, I would appreciate it.

Thank you so much!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The transfer out of PDF into editable format can be uncertain; if your collaborator is not happy editing using Openoffice you could try sending her the file in MS Office 97/2000/XP format (.doc), which OOo will write and open. I assume she will be working using MS Word. To save a file in MS Word format, Open the file in OpenOffice, then /File /Save As, drop the File Type dropdown to MS Word 97/2000/XP and make sure "Automatic file name extension" checkbox is checked. From now on you can both edit this .doc file. If you use very complex formatting, such as tables, there may be problems, but at this stage this is enough to get your project started.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If the file has to be edited, then don't use the PDF format. There are PDF reader that can add comments but not really edit a file (except Adobe applications I guess).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
mrshumes

Post by mrshumes »

RoryOF,

EXACTLY what I NEEDED! Thank you so much! She can now open my files and edit them and send them back to me. Now another question.. what you told me works just fine for text, but not for pictures. I sent her a test page with a photo. She sees a box with computer code. She can move the box but there is no photo. How can I format the photo so she can see it?

Hagar thank for for helping me also with defining PDF!

I appreciate all of the folks who help with this forum.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Send her the photo on its own, to see if she can open that. If she can't, then you need to decide on a mutually acceptable format for the photos, probably JPEG or TIFF.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
mrshumes

Re: [Solved] E-mailing and Editing PDFs

Post by mrshumes »

Thank you so much RoryOF!
andimichaels
Banned

Re: [Solved] E-mailing and Editing PDFs

Post by andimichaels »

I actually had both questions to ask , got both right and straight here :) , thanks a lot!
OpenOffice 2.9 on Ubuntu