[Solved] Safety and Security of OOo Documents

Not sure where to post? Post here!
StacieJones41

[Solved] Safety and Security of OOo Documents

Post by StacieJones41 »

Hello,

My apologies if this is somewhere that I can't find it! I must convince my boss that Open Office Documents are secure and private. She needs reassurance that the only people that can read them are me and the receiver!
I have just been given responsibility for a huge project. I need to organize the names and data for about 600 people that are all over the world! I am working from pages and pages of printouts. I will be putting these names into a spread sheet that 4 other people need to be able to open, read and edit. This is my reason for choosing OpenOffice.

I am more than a novice when it comes to using this.

In fact I am actually wondering if I should just create a Data Base from the get go now. Instead of creating a hellacious spread sheet to import?
Last edited by StacieJones41 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stacie Jones
Open Office 3.3
FJCC

Re: Privacy and Security of Open Office Documents

Post by FJCC »

There is no reason to be more concerned about OOo's security than any other office suite. Here is the beginning of what the help section says about encryption:
Protecting Content in Oracle Open Office
The following is an overview of the different ways of protecting contents in Oracle Open Office from being modified, deleted or viewed.
Protecting All Documents When Saving
All documents that are saved in OpenDocument format can be saved with a password. Documents that are saved with a password cannot be opened without the password. The content is secured so that it cannot be read with an external editor. This applies to content, graphics and OLE objects.
Turning on protection
Choose File - Save As and mark the Save with password check box. Save the document.
Turning off protection
Open the document, entering the correct password. Choose File - Save As and clear the Save with password check box.
So, in the layman's sense of securing the document, yes, that is easily done. There are some technical discussions on the web about OpenOffice's security, but I don't have the expertise to pass judgment on them. If you have to worry about people using sophisticated technology to get at your document, then I expect your organization has its own data protection methods.

The idea of a database sounds like a good one. I wouldn't use the embedded database that is the default with Base, as that set up is too prone to data loss. There are extensive posts about highly reliable database set ups. See the tutorial by DACM especially.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
StacieJones41

Re: solved Privacy and Security of Open Office Documents

Post by StacieJones41 »

Edit:  
Stacie Jones
Open Office 3.3
StacieJones41

Re: Solved (sorta) Safety and Security of Open Office Docume

Post by StacieJones41 »

I swear I typed something in the above post. Thanks for the reply. I will dig through the help section. where do I find this help section? There seem to be a lot of help sections. Thanks.
Stacie Jones
Open Office 3.3
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Open the Help file and in the Find tab type any keyword(s) for which you wish to search. Protect, security, password are each likely starting points.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
StacieJones41

Post by StacieJones41 »

I'm afraid to ask where to find this HELP section. Thanks.
:oops:
Stacie Jones
Open Office 3.3
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Open an OO application and press F1. I believe a database would suit your requirements better. The OO database application is Base.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The Help Menu in most computing applications is on the main menu, under menu item Help.
StacieJones41

Post by StacieJones41 »

I get it now. I was looking for help on the main Open Office Website. Thanks Pooh Bear!
Stacie Jones
Open Office 3.3
StacieJones41

Post by StacieJones41 »

RoryOF wrote:The Help Menu in most computing applications is on the main menu, under menu item Help.
Thanks. That isn't really the most logical place for it. If you have a question and you don't need to open or create a document, then that's not the first place you'll look.
Stacie Jones
Open Office 3.3
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Safety and Security of OOo Documents

Post by RoryOF »

It seems quite logical that the first place one would look for Help concerning an application is in that application's Help file, more particularly as most Applications don't now come with manuals for the user to ignore.
StacieJones41

Post by StacieJones41 »

RoryOF wrote:It seems quite logical that the first place one would look for Help concerning an application is in that application's Help file, more particularly as most Applications don't now come with manuals for the user to ignore.
:roll: No, it does not seem logical. If you have a general question regarding the product and not an application. Then why open an application?
Stacie Jones
Open Office 3.3
acknak

Post by acknak »

OOo's security and privacy features are quite good--more than adequate for any general office work. You can easily password-protect a document and no one will be able to open it without the password.

Here are some other things to consider:

One down side of that is that everyone you send the document to has to have OOo installed, and they have to be comfortable using it--at least enough to open and navigate the document. Since OOo is less commonly used, this may be a problem.

I would generally not think about using a database for any sort of one-off task: it requires too much set up work. Unless you have to do many repeated passes, it will never re-pay the up front effort. Maybe it could work if you're already a whiz with databases (MS Access or Filemaker don't count) and know exactly what you need and how to do it, but not otherwise.

Also, to distribute the database securely, you'd have to use the built-in document-embedded database and that isn't always so bullet-proof. Or, use a separate archiving software (like zip or 7-zip) and that requires more software and more expertise.

Finally, if I need to distribute a document, I first consider distributing a pdf. That means no hassles with different systems or software, and a pdf can be password-protected if necessary. As long as the others don't have to edit the document, pdf is the simplest way to go, for everyone concerned.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In addition to acknak's remarks, there is one very important point: do _not_ forget the password. OOo passworded files are effectively unbreakable. Also allow plenty of time for the files to close before you shut down the computer.
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

March 5, 2012

Both the ODF and MSxX formats are zip files and are protected using encrypting the archive using a password. Thus both have the same vulnerability to being hacked. Of more concern would be your method for sharing and the security of that process.

Until the US Supreme Court makes a decision on Word's use of another company's code, personally I would avoid it for database use. When MS initially lost the case, Word was briefly pulled from the market as code was removed.

Since Calc will export to Database formats including Dbase, it may be easier to start with the spreadsheet. Check out the Calc as a simple Database here:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... e_Chapters

I would work in the native ODS and only export to another when needed.

Also you might speed up your process by OCR PDF scanning your files and seeing how they copy and paste into the spreadsheet.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
StacieJones41

Post by StacieJones41 »

acknak wrote:OOo's security and privacy features are quite good--more than adequate for any general office work. You can easily password-protect a document and no one will be able to open it without the password.

Here are some other things to consider:

One down side of that is that everyone you send the document to has to have OOo installed, and they have to be comfortable using it--at least enough to open and navigate the document. Since OOo is less commonly used, this may be a problem.

I would generally not think about using a database for any sort of one-off task: it requires too much set up work. Unless you have to do many repeated passes, it will never re-pay the up front effort. Maybe it could work if you're already a whiz with databases (MS Access or Filemaker don't count) and know exactly what you need and how to do it, but not otherwise.

Also, to distribute the database securely, you'd have to use the built-in document-embedded database and that isn't always so bullet-proof. Or, use a separate archiving software (like zip or 7-zip) and that requires more software and more expertise.

Finally, if I need to distribute a document, I first consider distributing a pdf. That means no hassles with different systems or software, and a pdf can be password-protected if necessary. As long as the others don't have to edit the document, pdf is the simplest way to go, for everyone concerned.
If everyone that gets a document in OOo has to have it installed, then why is there the option of sending the docs in different formats?
What is a one off task?
Stacie Jones
Open Office 3.3
StacieJones41

Post by StacieJones41 »

PGAGA wrote:March 5, 2012

Both the ODF and MSxX formats are zip files and are protected using encrypting the archive using a password. Thus both have the same vulnerability to being hacked. Of more concern would be your method for sharing and the security of that process.

Until the US Supreme Court makes a decision on Word's use of another company's code, personally I would avoid it for database use. When MS initially lost the case, Word was briefly pulled from the market as code was removed.

Since Calc will export to Database formats including Dbase, it may be easier to start with the spreadsheet. Check out the Calc as a simple Database here:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... e_Chapters

I would work in the native ODS and only export to another when needed.

Also you might speed up your process by OCR PDF scanning your files and seeing how they copy and paste into the spreadsheet.

Phil
Thanks Phil. That's a rad link you gave me and very helpful. I really appreciate it.
Stacie Jones
Open Office 3.3
acknak

Post by acknak »

StacieJones41 wrote:If everyone that gets a document in OOo has to have it installed, then why is there the option of sending the docs in different formats?
OOo supports other formats, but not with the encryption and password protection you said you need.
What is a one off task?
Something you have to do only once. A task that has a defined end-point, which, once accomplished, does not need to be updated or changed thereafter.

Compiling a list of people who worked for the company in 2006 is a one-off task (essentially). Once it's published, it's done. Short of errors, that list will never change; there's little need or advantage to having it in a database.

Creating a (current) staff directory is ephemeral: it must be updated regularly, maybe daily. In that case, you want to be able to perform updates and re-publish with as little effort as possible. That's where the effort of setting up a database gets paid off: it saves some time and effort with every update.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
StacieJones41

Post by StacieJones41 »

Thanks for the clarification on the formatting and encryption!

I wish this was a One Off Task! But no! I'm organizing 600 plus people and their records. Then I have to create more lists that separate them by country. After that's done, it's up to the regional administrator to keep track of them. No way in hell am I going to cut and paste a separate country list after I get the master file. Hopefully, the master list will be done sometime in this century. :cry: I have 4 lists to cross cross check and use to create the master list.

Thanks for your replies, they are very helpful!
Stacie Jones
Open Office 3.3
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Wednesday, March 07, 2012
StacieJones41 wrote:If everyone that gets a document in OOo has to have it installed, then why is there the option of sending the docs in different formats?
What is a one off task?
Word 2010 supports ODF formats so there is no need to install OOo.

Phil
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
StacieJones41

Post by StacieJones41 »

PGAGA wrote:Wednesday, March 07, 2012
What is a one off task?
Word 2010 supports ODF formats so there is no need to install OOo.

Phil
Thanks, but it's not a problem now. The good news is that my Boss likes this idea. Shew! I just got the go ahead to send Open Office download instructions to everyone. So this is route we will take! :bravo: I'm excited, even though it means burning a lot of midnight oil and frustration.
Thanks for your help everyone.
Stacie Jones
Open Office 3.3
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Wednesday, March 07, 2012

One more security issue. It is always best to use OOo with the backup option turned on. You need to set your backup location to a secure location such as an password protected hard drive.

Phil