[Solved] How to read .docx and/or .ppt formats

Not sure where to post? Post here!
hlandsman

[Solved] How to read .docx and/or .ppt formats

Post by hlandsman »

My version of MSOffice Starter 2010 blew up (sic) and just installed OpenOffice 3.3. I deep sixed that MS thing and now, whenever I try to open the .doc file, the message MSOffice Starter 2010 is not working, try .........

What do I need to do to be able to read the .docx and .ppt files with OpenOffice 3.3?

Thanks
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: How to read .docx and/or .ppt formats

Post by thomasjk »

Are you using File-->Open or by double clicking the file? If double clicking see http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 74&t=12918
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Save the file to your hard drive and open it from there after setting the file associations. If you want to open it directly from the email tell us what email client you are using.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
hlandsman

Post by hlandsman »

I'm using Yahoo!.mail
OpenOffice 3.3 Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

How do you view any other file or mail attachment? This is completely unrelated to this office suite. Viewing some mail in a web-browser I would right-click the hyperlink or icon of the attachment and choose to download the thing. Once it is on my disk, I would simply open it with whatever software I want. This is also completely unrelated to this office suite. It is just a matter of most fundamental computing skills.
Since you asked abour reading docx and friends, I would recommend the freely downloadable document readers by Microsoft. MS is the one and only company which will ever be able to read their own proprietary file formats correctly.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

hlandsman wrote:I'm using Yahoo!.mail
I have no problem opening attachments from Yahoo! Mai.

Have you used "Start > Default Programs > Set your default programs" to change the file associations from MS Office Starter to OOo? An error message about MS Office Starter not working implies that MS Office Starter is stil the default program. Files won't open automatically with OOo if the file associations haven't been changed.