[Solved] Can OOo write/read MS Office formats?

Not sure where to post? Post here!
flash666

[Solved] Can OOo write/read MS Office formats?

Post by flash666 »

Hello people,
This is what i'm trying to ask. I can't get Microsoft Office Home & Student at the moment and I will have assignments for the past week and I need to be able to complete them or it will affect my grades. I just want to ask if OpenOffice [Word, Exel, PowerPoint] the "OpenOffice" version of these programs can create files that I would be able to open/edit on Microsoft Word 2007/10 so I can put my OpenOffice documents onto my pen drive so I can bring them into school and edit them. However at school they use Microsoft Office 2007/10 and they have no OpenOffice, so my tutor's may not be able to open the OpenOffice Word document/PowerPoint and if they can't open it then I will be toast. As I need the PowerPoint to do a talk in class in other words I need to lecture my classmates on a subject and I need the Open Office Powerpoint to be able to work on Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007/10

Oh and by the way i'm a OpenOffice noob so don't use abbreviations or certain words as I will not be able to understand them.
Thank's for reading my crap and I hope someone will help me.

Thanks.

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases your chances of a reply. Also edited to remove All Caps (TheGurkha, Moderator).
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
Open Office 3.1 Windows Vista
RoryOF

Re: PLEASE HELP! NOT SURE IF THIS IS FOR ME!

Post by RoryOF »

Keep your formatting simple, work on your computer's hard disk and then transfer finished files to your pen drive. Observe proper USB device removal protocol. For MS Word etc to see your files, in / File / Save As choose MS Word (or Office) 97/2000/XP format and make sure "Automatic file name extension" box is checked on the save As window.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
flash666

Re: PLEASE HELP! NOT SURE IF THIS IS FOR ME!

Post by flash666 »

Hello RoryOF, Thanks for the extremely quick response. I have another question, you stated I should save it as 97/2000/XP format however there is no option for 2007 and if I choose 97/2000/XP can I open the file on 2007. Also, on Impress, can I save the PowerPoint as .ODP, will I be able to open that file in Microsoft PowerPoint 2007? sorry for all the questions.
Open Office 3.1 Windows Vista
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Can OOo write/read MS Office formats?

Post by TheGurkha »

Office 2007 can read/write the .doc, .xls, .ppt formats that you can save to from OOo.

It is always safer to work in the native OOo formats (.odt and .ods etc) and then use Save As to save a copy in .doc or .xls format if you need to distribute it in MS Office formats. But always then go back to the native OOo version to continue working.

File > Save As and select 'Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP' from the 'Save as type' dropdown menu. Make sure the 'Automatic file name extension' option is checked. In Calc and Impress follow that sequence but select the appropriate file type from the drop downs 9.xls and .ppt).
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
RoryOF

Re: Can OOo write/read MS Office formats?

Post by RoryOF »

As Gurkha says.

MS 97/2000/XP is an older format than Office 2007 uses, but is readable in all Office versions since 97. Don't move to newer formats - in particular stay away from .docx .xlsx etc.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS