[Solved] Opening PDF

Not sure where to post? Post here!
ahartdj

[Solved] Opening PDF

Post by ahartdj »

I run Windows XP and OpenOffice.org3. I want to open a very important PDF file saved to my desktop. When I attempt to open PDF I'm promted with box "ASCII Filter Options. I only get a bunch of jibberish or codes on opening attempt. I speak English. How do I open this PDF? Your time and consideration are greatly appreaciated. Thank you.
Last edited by ahartdj on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice3 on Windows XP
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Opening PDF

Post by TheGurkha »

If you only want to read the PDF, then use a PDF reader to open the PDF, not OpenOffice.org.

PDF-Xchange is a good free PDF reader.

If you want to make very small edits to the PDF you can do this in OpenOffice.org. But be aware that PDF isn't designed to be a dynamic file type. It is best considered as an 'electronic printed page'. They were never intended to be edited in the way that, say, a word processor file can be re-edited again and again. Much better to edit the original source document and create a new PDF when required.

However, having said that, OOo provides some limited PDF editing through the use of the Sun PDF Extension, but that extension is provided to correct typos and make tiny adjustments, not for full scale edits.

If this has answered your question please go to your first post and use the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You should select the green tick icon at the same time.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
ahartdj

Re: Opening PDF

Post by ahartdj »

Thanks TheGurkha......much appreciated. Peace :)
OpenOffice3 on Windows XP