[Solved] Calc - Sound object player taking up half of screen

Not sure where to post? Post here!
tmfk626

[Solved] Calc - Sound object player taking up half of screen

Post by tmfk626 »

When I click the gallery icon there is a list that appears at the top of the spreadsheet with "Backgrounds" "Bullets" "Homepage" etc buttons and a viewer so you can see the backgrounds etc. The last button is sounds. I clicked it. Then i clicked on a sound. It inserted an object into my spreadsheet that looks like a speaker and will play a sound, I guess. That's not the problem. I can delete the object on the spreadsheet. The problem is that it also created a "player" of some sort on the right part of my screen and the only way i can get it to go away is to drag the spreadsheet left boundary over which in effect hides that player or whatever it is. It is still there and there is some extra margin as evidence. Is there a proper way to close this? I have googled on it and searched on it but maybe my terminology is wrong.

I might add that I am an aging student in IT and have spent over 20 years in offices as an accountant. I began working on spreadsheets in the 80's when Lotus 123 was fairly new. I switched to Excel in 1996 or 1997. I do side jobs here and there and have converted a number of people over to Linux. One question I always ask before I can recommend Linux is "what do you do on your PC?" I have to tell you that if they do any significant amount of office work or business computing, I generally cannot recommend Linux, partially because of OpenOffice.org. If I had to use this without a "guru" sitting in the cubicle next to me I would probably have grey hair by now. I like it's ambition, and it's usually easy to use for simple tasks, but it's just not intuitive in a number of areas. Like this sound object player thigamajig. Can anyone help? :?
Last edited by tmfk626 on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HPG60 Pentium T4400 running OOo 3.3.0 dual boot Win7Ultimate 64 bit and Backtrack 5 KDE 64 bit
RoryOF

Re: Calc - Sound object player taking up half of screen

Post by RoryOF »

In Ubuntu there is an X for closure on the top bar of the media player. I'm not currently on a Windows machine, so can't comment on that, except that I would expect the usual minimise/Maximise and close boxes on the media player top bar.

Usually it is possible to resize such helper applications by grabbing a corner with the mouse and pulling to a new size.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

Try: Tools > Media Player: OFF (unchecked)
If I had to use this without a "guru" sitting in the cubicle next to me I would probably have grey hair by now.
That's exactly why we volunteer here. We can't "fix" OOo but we can help people through the rough spots. Of course, it's a nuisance to have to come here and ask about something that "should be obvious" but it's the best we can do for now.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
tmfk626

Post by tmfk626 »

:super: Thank you for your replies. I am sorry this got posted to the Linux forum. I could swear I put it in beginners as I am using OOO 3.3.0 on Windows 7, and I am really a beginner when it comes to OpenOffice. There was no x to close it but the Tools>Media Player: OFF worked perfectly! Thank you! It was driving me more nuts than I already am :bravo:
HPG60 Pentium T4400 running OOo 3.3.0 dual boot Win7Ultimate 64 bit and Backtrack 5 KDE 64 bit
acknak

Re: [Solved] Calc - Sound object player taking up half of sc

Post by acknak »

[Topic moved to Beginners]
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23