[Solved] Tablet for Work

Issues with smartphones, tablets and all portable devices
loup

[Solved] Tablet for Work

Post by loup »

Hello,
I use OO to prepare all of my inspection reports. I am considering getting a tablet computer to take on site. This will allow me to enter most of the information on site, then return to the office and complete the report. I am looking for a tablet that will run OO. My research so far indicates that only a windows based unit will run OO. If this is the case, any suggestions for which to buy (minimum requirements) would be appreciated. If this is not the case, I am interested in what OS and configuration will work for this type of use.

Thanks, Lou
Last edited by loup on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Tablet for Work

Post by jrkrideau »

I don't think we're ignoring you , it just is an unusual question and people may not know
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Use the mobile device to collect your data in some type of simple database. This does not require a 350MB office suite. May be you can find a plain text editor for tabular data? Or some dBase editor? Then feed a well prepared OOo database with the collected data and run your reports.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

More people will use tablets to write reports etc.
Print reports from tablets without printer port? Ridiculous.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
mriosv
Volunteer

Post by mriosv »

Sometimes it's dificult understand the Villeroy's humor
LibreOffice 3.5.4 AOo-3.4 on Win 7 Ultimate
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

mriosv wrote:Sometimes it's dificult understand the Villeroy's humor
Well, a report is a layouted presentation of database data. In OOo such a report assumes a print layout for paper or pdf. A tablet computer has a small display while most of them (the ones starting with "i") do not have an USB port or anything that allows you to plug a printer or big screen. So you will use a real computer for the presentation anyway. Connect the tablet with the PC, open the Base document which accesses some type of database on the tablet's file system and run the report based on the latest data. IMHO, this heavy weight office suite on a tablet just to enter and store some user data is pointless and inefficient.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Villeroy wrote:A tablet computer has a small display while most of them (the ones starting with "i") do not have an USB port or anything that allows you to plug a printer or big screen. So you will use a real computer for the presentation anyway.
Pure FUD. iPads print wirelessly. They also can connect to projectors or large screen TV's with a video adaptor. iPod Touch and iPhone also have these features. Not need for a computer.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

FUD = Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt
I'm afraid we will not see OpenOffice.org on the iPad nor similar devices.
I'm uncertain about the range of availlable software to collect data so they can be evaluated and layouted in this office suite.
I doubt that wishful thinking about software features, availlable WLAN printers and "compatibility" of anything to everything will solve Lou's problem which is why I suggested a separation of data entry, storage and presentation on a PC.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Villeroy wrote:FUD = Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt
Yes. You stated you can't print or connect to a large screen on an i device. That is not true, therefore FUD.
I'm afraid we will not see OpenOffice.org on the iPad nor similar devices.
I'm uncertain about the range of availlable software to collect data so they can be evaluated and layouted in this office suite.
The iPad has Pages and Keynote for word processing and presentations. I use Keynote all the time on my notebook. Far better design than Impress.
I doubt that wishful thinking
No wishful thinking in anything I wrote.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

loup wrote: If this is not the case, I am interested in what OS and configuration will work for this type of use.
According to Larry you can use an iPad with Keynotes and Pages.
I would use the most simple type of database application with the most simple user interface saving dBase or SQLite. As far as I know, iPads save some of their configuragtion and address books in SQLite databases, so this might be an viable option on the iPad.
Since the storage of general data (text, numbers, times, pictures) is not platform specific, any brand of tablet computer might offer something suitable to collect data for later evaluation and reporting in some other software such as OpenOffice.org, LibreOffice, MS Office, some web application or what else.
loup

Re: [Solved] Tablet for Work

Post by loup »

Thanks to all for your input. I was trying to speed up my report generation, by logging the simple stuff on site and them be able to return to the office, transfer the report and finish it on my desk top. I could use a laptop to do this, but it is a pain to carry around. I was hoping that a tablet would make my life easier...

Lou
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Yes, of course a tablet makes life easier. There should be more than one way to record any data on any device and then use the collected data on any other machine which runs an office suite. Just like you can use a mobile phone to collect pictures and show them in a presentation using a real computer.
RecRedit

Post by RecRedit »

What solution did you come up with, if you're still looking for answer you may be able to use a spread sheet app then a simple script to insert spreadsheet fields into your presentation. If you have to prepare these reports frequently it may be worth the time to write the script. I would suggest an android based OS if you choose to go that route, Kindle Fire maybe, but I'd wait till it comes out to see what kind of apps will be available for it.
OOo 3.1 Linux Mint 10
Vlad_Pavlov

Post by Vlad_Pavlov »

You can use OpenOffice on iPad: www.rollapp.com/openoffice
OpenOffice 3.5 on iPad 3
kabing
Volunteer

Post by kabing »

Vlad_Pavlov wrote:You can use OpenOffice on iPad: www.rollapp.com/openoffice
Note that this is a Web app, not an on-your-iPad app; therefore it's only usable if you have internet access.
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)