Burning to disc

Not sure where to post? Post here!
Alex912

Burning to disc

Post by Alex912 »

I want to make a copy of Open Office for my laptop. I use my laptop strictly for presentations and want to have a copy of the latest version on it (I currently have 2.0 on it). Some of my students create presentations with Open Office and they don't come across well using 2.0. I tried Nero and it didn't work. I tried going through Explorer and it didn't work. Is there a way to put it on to a zip drive? Anyway, I still want to know what to do to put it on a CD. :crazy:
Open Office 3.3 on Microsoft XP
RoryOF

Re: Burning to disc

Post by RoryOF »

Put the downloaded file, which typically has a name like OOo_3.3.0_Win_x86_install-wJRE_en-US.exe onto your USB key or your zip drive. Depending which program you want to use to put it on CD the instructions will vary, and you need to visit the author's site to find detailed and specific instructions on how to use that program to put any files on CD.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Do you need it on a CD? Download it to your laptop and then run it from there. Or if you have no internet connection on the laptop put in on a USB drive, which is easier than burning files to CD.

Here is a tutorial for how to burn files to CD in Widnows XP, that took me about 12 seconds to find using Google: How to Burn a CD Using Windows XP
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Alex912 wrote:I want to make a copy of Open Office for my laptop. I use my laptop strictly for presentations and want to have a copy of the latest version on it (I currently have 2.0 on it). Some of my students create presentations with Open Office and they don't come across well using 2.0. I tried Nero and it didn't work. I tried going through Explorer and it didn't work. Is there a way to put it on to a zip drive? Anyway, I still want to know what to do to put it on a CD. :crazy:
Just install OOo on the laptop. If needed, copy the installation file to a USB stick and install from there.

If you don't want to install it on the laptop just install http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable on a USB stick and run it from there.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

jrkrideau wrote:If you don't want to install it on the laptop just install http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable on a USB stick and run it from there.
That's good advice, and another option. You can install OOo Portable version onto a USB stick or external drive and take it with you from machine to machine, and run it from the stick. It doesn't need to be installed to the PC and so the it doesn't affect the PC that the stick is used on. And it means you always have OOo with you.
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Alex912

Post by Alex912 »

You're all assuming I know what you're talking about. I don't. I can't download a copy to my laptop because it doesn't have Internet capability. I went to portableapps and started a download and had no idea where the download was going. As far as using OOo_3.3.0_Win_x86_install-wJRE_en-US.exe that means nothing to me. I need to have step-by-step instructions. :knock:
Open Office 3.3 on Microsoft XP
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Perhaps the easiest thing is to order a CD with OOo on it.

CD-ROMs for consumers
Gurkha Welfare Trust
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Alex912 wrote:You're all assuming I know what you're talking about. I don't. I can't download a copy to my laptop because it doesn't have Internet capability. I went to portableapps and started a download and had no idea where the download was going. As far as using OOo_3.3.0_Win_x86_install-wJRE_en-US.exe that means nothing to me. I need to have step-by-step instructions. :knock:
Go to the main OOo website http://www.openoffice.org/

Pick the I want to download OOo.

Get the download.

Since we don't know what browser it is that you use you will have to figure out where it downloads. In Explorer you can use the Search function to find out where it is. Typically it will be on the desktop.

Stick a USB drive in a port and copy the OOo download to the USB drive.
Take USB drive and insert into laptop
Double click on the OOo.etc.etc.exe file, select the C:Program folder and install using the default settings.

You're done.

Alternatively find where the portable OOo is stored, double-click on it and install it on the USB stick. Probably D or E drive. Stick it in the laptop port and use it from there.

This portable approach has the advantage that you can add extensions, new dictionaries etc when using the program on your desktop machine and have all this functionality on the laptop even without internet access on the laptop.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04