[Solved] Received a document via email

Not sure where to post? Post here!
JackieW

[Solved] Received a document via email

Post by JackieW »

I don't know what OpenOffice is, I don't have a program, but I received a document via email that after some research I found was an Open Office document. Now what? How do I open this? Is it convertable so I can use it in the programs I currently have (Word). Can someone please point me in the right direction?

(Please pay no attention to my 'signature', the site wouldn't let me register without a version....and I just copied one of the examples.)

Thanks in advance.

Jackie
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Received a document via email-HELP!!

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

You can download and install OOo or ask your sender to save the file in Word's format using File->Save As Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP .doc. Does the file have a .odt extension or something similar?
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
JackieW

Post by JackieW »

It had a 'doc' extension, but Word wouldn't convert. I could see some of the content using 'convert to pdf' and saw that it was an OpenOffice document. I changed the extension to .zip and opened it in Dreamweaver which allows me to see the content, but not really do anything with it. But, I could find my way here to talk to the experts.

I'm unable to download anything since I am on my work computer and downloading anything is not allowed.

I'm trying villeroy's link right now and am hoping for good results...if that doesn't work, I'll try emailing the sender and hope that the person knows what I'm talking about.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows
JackieW

Post by JackieW »

Villiroy's solution worked. Thank you! I got the file opened and transfered it to Word and resaved.

I've also talked to my boss about downloading and using OpenOffice. He's checking into it and thought it sounded like a good idea.

Thanks to all!
JohnV
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Received a document via email

Post by JohnV »

Jackie,

I you are likely to receive other e-mailed documents from the same person tell him to open the subject document and do File > Send > E-mail as Microsoft Word or Excel. This should pop up his e-mail client with the file attached. Sometimes the email client doesn't pop up but is present as an icon at the bottom of the screen which can be activated.