[Solved] Compatibility with Microsoft Office

Not sure where to post? Post here!
drew

[Solved] Compatibility with Microsoft Office

Post by drew »

I think I already know the answer this, but I thought it would be wise to ask anyway. I'm currently using Open office 3.2 and just recently enrolled at an online university. The university insists that I need Microsoft office 2003 or better, and that their professors will be unable to open any file generated by Open office. This makes no sense to me, since the program allows you to save files using Microsoft formats. If I generate, say, a .doc file using open office 3.2, an end user with microsoft office 2010 would be able to open it, right? I know it's a stupid question, but better safe than sorry. Thanks!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open office 3.2 on XP
Hagar Delest

Re: Compatibility with Microsoft office

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

See for example that query.

Better avoid mixing applications because the MS Office formats filters have been reverse engineered. That's why it's wiser to use a true open and document format like ODF (which is ISO approved). The weird thing is that the university make you use MS Office, that's a real shame and it may have some interest doing so (reduced fee from MS for their equipment?).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
drew

Post by drew »

Thanks. Well, that sucks. At least I'll be able to buy office at a discount through the school...
Open office 3.2 on XP
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Thursday, September 02, 2010

I worked at a university with one of the free licenses from Microsoft (MS commonly provides free licensing to faculties), and used StarOffice 8 (OOo 2.4) and then 9 (OOo 3) the entire time for generation of Word documents. Others used WordPerfect for the same purpose.

Use options to set Word97 as your default format and unless your professors are checking file headers, they will never the difference.

Years ago now (it was just after Sun released StarOffice 5.2 for free), my son was in a high school program which declared that he had to have Word97 to continue. I tried to show him how he could use SO 5.2 a web browser and also edit the files on his school programs web site. He did not believe me until I was able edit a file which was supposed to be secure behind a password which I did not know (I grabbed it from the browser cache). He then borrowed my install CD so his friends could install it. Many parents were upset that they had bought new software and equipment unnecessarily. Two weeks later the program ended prematurely with the bankruptcy of the company behind it.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The problem is with the flaws from the export that could lead to loss of time (and perhaps data also). It may work for basic documents but even the formatting may be difficult to respect.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

At least I'll be able to buy office at a discount through the school.
That's the real problem: not only MS makes money through their products, but everyone in the chain does also. I can't imagine that the school isn't getting some kind of benefit from MS for such exclusive support, because they're surely not doing it for the benefit of the students.

Unfortunately, when money is the deciding factor, the only thing that will change their mind is money. If they aren't losing money (i.e., students) due to the policy, why should they change?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

drew wrote:I think I already know the answer this, but I thought it would be wise to ask anyway. I'm currently using Open office 3.2 and just recently enrolled at an online university. The university insists that I need Microsoft office 2003 or better, and that their professors will be unable to open any file generated by Open office. This makes no sense to me, since the program allows you to save files using Microsoft formats. If I generate, say, a .doc file using open office 3.2, an end user with microsoft office 2010 would be able to open it, right? I know it's a stupid question, but better safe than sorry. Thanks!
OOo to MS Office translations are pretty good but not perfect. I've exported to Word fairly successfully for several years but every once in a while the exported file needs a bit of tweaking. If you have MS Word Viewer installed and casual access to Word (public libraries and university libraries around here provide it) for final viewing and adjusting then I'd think you are likely to be okay but it may depend on the subject matter and how complicated the materials are.

My guess is that a simple MLA, Chicago, or APA layout is not going to be a problem. If you need something more complicated or with a lot of graphics and maths then you might have a problem. In any case I'd be hesitant to submit something without at least viewing it once in Word itself.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

jrkrideau wrote:My guess is that a simple MLA, Chicago, or APA layout is not going to be a problem. If you need something more complicated or with a lot of graphics and maths then you might have a problem. In any case I'd be hesitant to submit something without at least viewing it once in Word itself.
@ jrkrideau: Graphics, maths and/or tables :-)
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS