[Solved] Delete Microsoft Office?

Not sure where to post? Post here!
velostic

[Solved] Delete Microsoft Office?

Post by velostic »

I'm wondering if Open Office automatically imports all docs, pics etc. from Office so I can delete it. If not, can anyone advise on how to import everything so I may do so?

Thanks!
Last edited by velostic on Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office v 3.2 / OS Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Re: Delete Microsoft Office?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

There is no import needed. OOo can read/save in MS Office format (except OOXML .docx, ...). Beware that the MS Office file formats were not documented until recently. The import/export have been reverse engineered. It means that you can face some flaws.

That's why it's important to use the native OOo format (ODF: .odt, .ods, ...). It is a true open and documented file format designed by a group of big companies like IBM, Sun/Oracle, ... to allow interoperability and avoid the vendor lock-in policy from MS for example.

But why remove MS Office? First check that OOo fits your need (especially if you've to save in external formats like .doc). Then just don't use it if you're fine with OOo.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

If your previous work is in .doc, .ppt and .xls, etc you should be fine. But make sure by opening files and checking them before you delete MS Office. Also be aware that there is no equivalent to Publisher in OOo, nor for Visio, so if you use these applications then you'll have to stick with them, because of their proprietary file formats.

Until recently the .doc, .xls and other Microsoft binary formats were a locked proprietary secret and so the OOo developers had to basically reverse engineer them, so it isn't a surprise that small incompatibilities arise every so often, especially with documents that have complicated tables in them.

(Note that you don't have 'import' as such, just open the documents with OOo.)
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Oops. Snap.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
velostic

Post by velostic »

Thanks so much gentlemen! I'm just thinking ahead. Once I get used to OOo, I'd like to ditch MS office and get the space back on my HD.

Just to be clear - there is no auto import guarantee as such so I need to open every doc and save in OOo format, yes?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

velostic wrote:Just to be clear - there is no auto import guarantee as such so I need to open every doc and save in OOo format, yes?
Well, there is a wizard (File>Wizard>Documents converter) that can convert your documents by batches. If they are quite simple, then that should be fine. But if they contain tables or complex formatting, better check one by one that the conversion went OK.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
velostic

Post by velostic »

Sweet, thanks Hagar :)