[Solved] Is OpenOffice 100% compatible with MS Office?

Not sure where to post? Post here!
se224141

[Solved] Is OpenOffice 100% compatible with MS Office?

Post by se224141 »

Edit: This old discussion has been marked solved. The answer to the question is:
No, it is not 100% compatible; never was; never will be.
The topic is locked. If you have a specific question, open your own topic.
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator, 2021-02-14 
I find it is not. Some documents created in openoffice doesn't properly open in MS office and also vice versa. I just have normal setting and save the file as .doc. Is there anything special that I have to do?
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
RoryOF

Re: Is openoffice 100% compatible with MS office?

Post by RoryOF »

No. It is as it is; it can open many MS Office documents correctly, but not all. If you _must_ have 100% MS Office compliance, _buy_ MS Office.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Until recently the .doc, .xls and other Microsoft binary formats were a locked proprietary secret and so the OOo developers had to basically reverse engineer them, so it isn't a surprise that these types of incompatibility arise every so often.

On saying that, apart from complex tables, I don't usually see anything that doesn't get translated between .odt and .doc.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

RoryOF wrote:No. It is as it is; it can open many MS Office documents correctly, but not all. If you _must_ have 100% MS Office compliance, _buy_ MS Office.
+1 Same works for MS Office, by the way, don't regard it as a stand-in for some other package. You only kid yourself.
TheGurkha wrote:Until recently the .doc, .xls and other Microsoft binary formats were a locked proprietary secret and so the OOo developers had to basically reverse engineer them, so it isn't a surprise that these types of incompatibility arise every so often.
Don't forget that programmers aren't infallible. Some flaws in conversion are just bugs.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

floris v wrote:Don't forget that programmers aren't infallible. Some flaws in conversion are just bugs.
Don't I know it. I run a development team!
Gurkha Welfare Trust
se224141

Post by se224141 »

RoryOF wrote:No. It is as it is; it can open many MS Office documents correctly, but not all. If you _must_ have 100% MS Office compliance, _buy_ MS Office.
I just detected this in my cv that I did from a resume template in openoffice. It is just few formatting that caused problem. I also did a presentation from openoffice and detected the same.

Your suggestion to buy MS Office is too simplistic. Right thing would be to improve it so that it becomes the industry standard.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Is OpenOffice.org 100% compatible with MS office?

Post by floris v »

Look, little formatting inconsistencies are to be expected; there is no such thing as an industry standard for software, a pity, as that allows MS to play its monopoly game rather successfully. In the past governments didn't interfere with the software industry because at first it was all for small and big business and not for consumers, but it's time the governments wake up and become aware that by now consumers suffer by the absence of an industry standard.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

se224141 wrote:Your suggestion to buy MS Office is too simplistic. Right thing would be to improve it so that it becomes the industry standard.
OOo is already using an ISO standard for its file format: ODF. It has been released several years ago and it insures that your documents will be readable in the future, even if OOo disappears. Its documentation is fully available and constantly improved by a group (OASIS) with some of the big players (IBM, Oracle/Sun, ...).

MS Office still sticks to proprietary formats, not fully documented and containing bugs that are not fixed. Even if they say that they are opening their minds to interoperability, they won't do it in order to keep the vendor lock-in policy and keep their users.

So right thing is not to spend energy on trying to be compatible with something that refuses to be compatible with anything else and that isn't a standard at all. It's the most used application, it doesn't mean it's the best (safety of your data point of view).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
FrankFonti

Re: Is OpenOffice.org 100% compatible with MS Office?

Post by FrankFonti »

If I receive an e-mail with an excel attachement will I be able to open it if I have OO ??
open office 3.1 on microsoft 7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Yes. But it doesn't seem that it will work as expected, especially if there are macros.
cindy5522

Post by cindy5522 »

Could you dumb it down a little please? I am not very computer literate. When I email my resume, created in Open Office, it opens as jibberish on the other end. I sent it to a friend with a Mac, and she could open it. What do I need to do so that potential employers can open my resume, if I don't know what system they are using? Thank you
Openoffice 3.1 on windows vista
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

cindy5522 wrote:Could you dumb it down a little please? I am not very computer literate. When I email my resume, created in Open Office, it opens as jibberish on the other end. I sent it to a friend with a Mac, and she could open it. What do I need to do so that potential employers can open my resume, if I don't know what system they are using? Thank you
Send it as a PDF. Anyone can open it then, on any machine. There is a PDF button right next to the print icon on the toolbar.

If they want to open it and edit it, then you need toknow what they are going to open it with. If it is OOo then you don't need to do anything. If is is Word then you need to have saved it in Word format, so that Word can understand it.

File > Save As and select 'Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP' from the 'Save as type' dropdown menu. Make sure the 'Automatic file name extension' option is checked.

It is always safer to work in the native OOo formats (.odt and .ods etc) and then use Save As to save a copy in .doc or .xls format if you need to distribute it in MS Office formats. But always then go back to the native OOo version to continue working. If the people you are sending to do not need to edit the files then it is best to send them a PDF as then no matter what office suite they use it will be possible for them to read and print the files.
Gurkha Welfare Trust
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

And if they can't or won't open a PDF file then you probably shouldn't work for them.
cindy5522

Post by cindy5522 »

Thank you VERY MUCH. You dumbed it down to my level!
rory0F should be blocked from this site. His snide comments are not helpful to those of us actually trying to learn how this works.
Openoffice 3.1 on windows vista
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

cindy5522 wrote:Thank you very much. You dumbed it down to my level!
Maybe we just run on the same level ;)
Gurkha Welfare Trust
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is a reasonable comment. If a company are so set in their ways that they _demand_ an editable resume (why? Think of possible identity theft) I doubt that any law abiding citizen should consider working for them, and should bombard the CEO with emails, and go over his head to the Board and the State Information Commission until their policy is reversed.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

cindy5522 wrote:rory0F should be blocked from this site.
Then we'd be blocking one of the most productive contributors to this forum. ("Productive" as in "producing solutions", that is.)
cindy5522 wrote:His snide comments are not helpful to those of us actually trying to learn how this works.
Yes they are. You just need to get the gist of his messages, which he elaborated to some degree in his last post.

Note that every critical statement he made in this thread is conditional, and as I read it, the conditionals are sincere and not merely rhetoric. In my eyes, RoryOF easily avoids "snide".
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
andyhksk

Post by andyhksk »

No, it isn't.

I can't open large excel files. They are not terrible complex, just large, without any macros. But calc hangs.

Autosort doesn't work like it does in excel. Actually, I don't think it works at all, I get all kind of results but not the one I want. And when I close the file with autosort enabled I can't undo the autosort after reopening the file.
The data is just disappeared somewhere.
Open Office 3.2 on Ubuntu 10.4
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

OOo isn't intended to be 100% compatible. It isn't trying to be an MS Office clone. The point of OOo is to provide a free office suite that promotes the ODF file standards.

But it does also have better (but not perfect) inter-working with MS Ofice than anything else I've seen.
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

andyhksk wrote:No, it isn't.

I can't open large excel files. They are not terrible complex, just large, without any macros. But calc hangs.

Autosort doesn't work like it does in excel. Actually, I don't think it works at all, I get all kind of results but not the one I want. And when I close the file with autosort enabled I can't undo the autosort after reopening the file.
The data is just disappeared somewhere.
What is autosort? Of course you can not undo the sorting of a table after reloading. No spreadsheet can do that. The data are stored in whatever order you keep them.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

In fact, all office software clears undo buffers when files are saved. You can only go back to an earlier version if you have Versions - Always save a version on closing turned on (and save versions often). If you save a file, you're supposed to be fine with it as it is. If you made a mistake, that's entirely your responsibility.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

floris v wrote:In fact, all office software clears undo buffers when files are saved.
Oh, no, that's the most obvious advantage of Calc vs. MS Excel (for my use). OOo doesn't clear the undo buffer at save. And it's especially comfortable with spreadsheets when you sometimes notice unwanted effects after having saved!
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Just noticed that today. :oops:
Nederlandstalig forum
Jzyehoshua

Post by Jzyehoshua »

The trouble is that when you need to open a file in MS Office 2010 you need that sure compatibility and OpenOffice from what I've seen just does not have it. I know OpenOffice members takes pride in "not being a clone of MS Office" but it's that lack of compatibility that also reduces OpenOffice's value for people looking to open files they worked on in Microsoft Office (e.g. the Office trials). So right now I'll be buying an office suite, but I have no reason to believe the purchasable version of OpenOffice is more compatible than the free version, and have to go with MS Office. I have to open a complex file that OpenOffice unfortunately just can't handle.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows XP
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

The plain truth is that MSFT is closed source and the majority of people are locked in to its software. You cannot convert your files overnight but you can convert them. If you choose to be locked in, that's entirely your choice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Of course: get both.
Nederlandstalig forum
crusader
Volunteer

Post by crusader »

Jzyehoshua wrote:The trouble is that when you need to open a file in MS Office 2010 you need that sure compatibility
Sure compatibility with M$ Office 2010 can only be provided by M$ Office 2010.
Jzyehoshua wrote:I know OpenOffice members takes pride in "not being a clone of MS Office" but it's that lack of compatibility that also reduces OpenOffice's value
OpenOffice's value is more in its Open Document Format (ODF) than compatibility: I cherish the fact that I can access my information without having to KI$$ up to a monopoly that holds peoples' information hostage. Compatibility is necessitated by M$ slaves.
Jzyehoshua wrote:have to go with MS Office
Enslaving your information is your prerogative: enjoy...
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
In a world without walls, who needs Window$.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
crusader
Volunteer

Post by crusader »

xloiutyhrfj wrote:What do I need to do so that potential employers can open my resume, if I don't know what system they are using?
One option is to send your resume in PDF format. Almost anyone can open that file. Both LibreOffice and OpenOffice allow you to export documents in PDF format.
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
In a world without walls, who needs Window$.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Saturday, April 07, 2012
crusader wrote:Sure compatibility with M$ Office 2010 can only be provided by M$ Office 2010.
And only if installed on the same system. One is not guaranteed compatibility between different installations.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Saturday, April 07, 2012
crusader wrote:One option is to send your resume in PDF format.
PDF should be the only option for submission of résumés. To require an editable version of a résumé would be an ethical breach. Why would a potential employer want to be able to edit your résumé?

An employer request for anything other than PDF indicates one of two things: [1] there is a technical competency gap at the employer end that one may want to avoid or [2] they are testing your capabilities in a less than honest manner.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2