[Solved] I can't open pdf files

Not sure where to post? Post here!

[Solved] I can't open pdf files

Postby Soly » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:07 pm

I can't open pdf files and realise that I need some kind of converter. I downloaded sun-pdfimport.oxt but it doesn't seem to work. Can anyone advise, please?
Last edited by Soly on Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice version 3.2
Microsoft Vista
Soly

Re: I can't open pdf files

Postby Hagar Delest » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:18 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!

There are plenty of threads about opening PDF. What do you want exactly? Read it or edit it?

OOo is not a viewer, use dedicated applications for that (Acrobat, PDFX-Change, Foxit, ...).

OOo with that extension has some abilities to import a PDF but you won't get the original file because it's a kind of digital scan. PDF is a digital paper, not designed to be edited.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 19.10 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby Soly » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:55 pm

Thank you for your advice. Some things I just want to see, like photographs, but others I need to edit as I'm involved with a club magazine, which I need to proof read. I think I used to be able to open pdf files but I can't open them now and I don't know why, not being very experienced with computers. I tried using Acrobat, but that didn't work. I'll try to find PDFX-Change and Foxit and see if they work. Should I delete sun-pdfimport.oxt if it doesn't do what I need?
OpenOffice version 3.2
Microsoft Vista
Soly

Postby hol.sten » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:41 pm

Soly wrote:others I need to edit as I'm involved with a club magazine, which I need to proof read

Wouldn't it be much easier to use a different file format for such a task, like OOo's native text file format ODT or MS DOC? Why does some one give you a PDF if you have to edit the document?
OOo 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 • OOo 3.2.1 on Windows 7 64-bit and MS Windows XP
hol.sten
Volunteer

Postby Hagar Delest » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:37 pm

Soly wrote:Should I delete sun-pdfimport.oxt if it doesn't do what I need?

You can remove it since you don't use it but that's not necessary (I hope it doesn't use any resource until it's launched).

But as advised by hol.sten, better get the original file, that's why working with open and standard formats is a key point now.
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 19.10 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby Soly » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:27 pm

Thanks to both of you for your help. I've downloaded PDFX-Change and can now open the files. That's geat for pictures. I don't know why the magazine proofs are sent in this format as I've only just taken on the job of assistant editor. As the role involves doing the proof reading I'll negotiate for a change in format to make it easier all round.
The problem's solved as far as the forum is concerned so I've put a green tick on my first posting. I hope that's the right thing to do.
Many thanks
OpenOffice version 3.2
Microsoft Vista
Soly

Return to Beginners