PC Mac compatibility

Not sure where to post? Post here!
User557

PC Mac compatibility

Post by User557 »

If I create a database in Base on a PC version of OpenOffice using the standard ODB filetype, can this file then be opened on a Mac (obviously using OO) without losing any formating and without having to carry out any form of conversion?

If the answer is no, could anyone suggest an alternative that could perform this (without having to resort to MS Office), preferably opensource.

I'm fairly certain that it is possible, however I just need a bit of confirmation first ;)

Thanks in advance :D
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP SP3
Hagar Delest

Re: PC Mac compatibility

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm not an expert with Mac nor Base but I don't see why there would be any problem. Just try on a small database as a test.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
darkness7171

Post by darkness7171 »

Software is software. Unless Mac prevents it (and i wouldnt put it past them they prevent everything else) I doubt it will have an issue. Generally speaking a text document opened by the same software even on a different computer should be possible even with a different OS
Ubuntu 9.10-Openoffice 3.2
Windows XP-Openoffice 3.1 (older machine barely in use)
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Friday, April 09, 2010

I am not a user of Base, but I am a multi platform user. The issue when moving between platforms, which can include identical setups with the exception of video and printer drivers, is font metrics - different systems will display files different due to interpretation of font metrics.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2