[Solved] OOo 3.2 Ribbon

Not sure where to post? Post here!
pauliw25

[Solved] OOo 3.2 Ribbon

Post by pauliw25 »

After reading what has already been posted on this subject - I am still left with one question. Is OpenOffice going to start using the "Ribbon" that was talked about last year. And, if so - when? I was surprised when I recently installed 3.2 RC5 and it did not have it. I was wondering if this proposed feature had died.

I think it would be nice to have the Ribbon as an Optional interface.
:ugeek:
Last edited by pauliw25 on Sat May 01, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
L.O 3.4.5 on Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 bit
RoryOF

Re: OO 3.2 Ribbon

Post by RoryOF »

I think (subject to correction) that any revised user interface in Open Office will not be before ver 3.3. And such revised interface may not be a Ribbon.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Solved - OO 3.2 Ribbon

Post by TheGurkha »

OOo has never said it will use the ribbon style of UI. An early mock-up looked enough like a ribbon to set off alarm bells in those who hate the ribbon concept. Of course, the early mock up was just that, and the design was sure to evolve and change over time, which it has. The ribbon-haters of course, think this was down to their protests. But that is like saying 'The Sun will come up tomorrow because I clap my hands today,' and then taking the credit for the Sun coming up.

Renaissance Status Dec 09.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
jacebenson

Re: [Solved] OOo 3.2 Ribbon

Post by jacebenson »

I for one think the option should be there. Regardless if some people like/dislike it. As people who use different suites of office applications come around to use OpenOffice, it would be nice to give people a way to have this migration as easy as possible. If that means allowing for two styles of UI for the applications so be it.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Ubuntu 9.10
pauliw25

Has anyone looked at the Ribbon in MS Office 2010

Post by pauliw25 »

I was just curious if anyone has looked at the ribbon in MS Office 2010. I recently downloaded the MS OFFICE 2010 beta and unlike the ribbon in MS OFFICE 2007 - in this one not only can you customize the existing tabs, you can also set up a CUSTOM TAB and insert any and all the commands you want - wherever you want them. -----NICE !!!! ----

If OpenOffice was going to have a Ribbon - this is the way I think it should be - Customizable.
L.O 3.4.5 on Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 bit
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] OOo 3.2 Ribbon

Post by RoryOF »

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS