Publisher

Not sure where to post? Post here!
drtrdguy

Publisher

Post by drtrdguy »

I have been using Microsoft Publisher to publish a monthly newsletter. I plan to purchase a new computer with Vista on it and must continue to publish the newsletter. I do not plan to purchase MS Office again. What do I use to publish? :?:
Hagar Delest

Re: Publisher

Post by Hagar Delest »

Does it help: Can't get graphics or Publisher files.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
drtrdguy

Post by drtrdguy »

Solved. Thanks. I guess I will have to look into Gimp, Inkscape and Scribus. :geek:
sybille
Volunteer

Post by sybille »

There's a very good series of articles on using Scribus in Full Circle Magazine, which is a free PDF newsletter about Ubuntu Linux. You might find the Scribus how-to series useful even if you're not interested in the rest of the information.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this thread's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line. Thanks!
-------
About Ubuntu Linux
Zotero, for research and bibliography management with OOo.
OOo 2.4.X on Ubuntu 8.x + None needed :)
acknak

Post by acknak »

I guess I will have to look into Gimp, Inkscape and Scribus.
If your main criteria is to be able to use your old MS Publisher files, none of those will help you either. OOo can read MS Office files, but not MS Publisher files.

If your primary criteria is to find software similar to publisher, Scribus is the only one of those that's close, and it's still not very close (from what I read; I've not used either Publisher or Scribus).

Unless you are doing some pretty sophisticated graphic design in your newsletter, OpenOffice should be quite capable of doing the job, although it will be less convenient than a desktop publishing application in some aspects.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
kabing
Volunteer

Post by kabing »

If you want to convert existing Publisher filed, you might try pdfonline. I've never used the service myself, but it was recommended in this thread of the NeoOffice support forums. (NeoOffice is a Mac port/fork of OpenOffice.org).

Neither OpenOffice.org nor NeoOffice can read pdf files, but Adobe makes a free pdf viewer for both Windows and Mac platforms. (I presume there's a pdf reader for Linux, but I don't know much about Linux).

kabing
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)