Can I open my old WordStar files?

Not sure where to post? Post here!
gyontef

Can I open my old WordStar files?

Post by gyontef »

I am brand new to OpenOffice. I have been using word processing since Wordstar with CP/M, on a Kaypro. I have many years of Wordstar files that I need to access occasionally. In Ms Word there is a conversion that will allow Word to open Wordstar files. Is there any such animal with OpenOffice?

Moved to the Beginners forum, no one would have seen your post tucked away at the back of an old thread. I also changed the title. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply. (TheGurkha, Moderator).
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Can I open my old WordStar files?

Post by TheGurkha »

bump.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Details of assorted WordStar to other format converters are given at
http://www.wordstar.org/wordstar/pages/convert_faq.htm
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

July 16 2009
gyontef wrote:I am brand new to OpenOffice. I have been using word processing since Wordstar with CP/M, on a Kaypro. I have many years of Wordstar files that I need to access occasionally. In Ms Word there is a conversion that will allow Word to open Wordstar files. Is there any such animal with OpenOffice?
You did not state the the platform which you are using, but I am assuming it is Windows. The branch of OOo which opens WordStar files is StarOffice 5.2 to 8. SO7 may still be available at this address:

http://legacy.avanquest.fr/ABSOFT/produ ... so0506.cfm

If you are using WordStar 7, it comes with a mass conversion tool to convert WS files to RTF, which OOo can open.

The current WS compatible Word Processor is Write & Set (www.writeandset.com). It also saves open files as RTF.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2