Microsoft Project .MPP documents

Not sure where to post? Post here!
cocko

Microsoft Project .MPP documents

Post by cocko »

Does anyone know how I can read Microsoft Project .MPP documents with open office.

New to open office.

regards

Steve
OOo 3.1.X on Ms Windows XP + ubuntu
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Microsoft Project .MPP documents

Post by Villeroy »

I know of no other software that can open that many file formats as OpenOffice.org can, but it It is impossible for a single software to handle any top-secret file format of computing history. All of Microsofts file formats have been developed for exclusive use with a Microsoft product. This is how they made their billions.

Assumed OOo could open such a project-file. How should it's content be presented? There no project planner in OpenOffice.org.
It has a word processor to handle written text, a spreadsheet to handle spreadsheets, Impress to handle presentations and it's own vector-graphic software to create graphics that can be exported to many common picture file formats. Furthermore all of the mentioned document types can be exported to PDF. But there is no project planner. If MS would provide some additional software to access the project data as a relational database, then you could access your project data in OOo Base, but I doubt that Microsoft will ever do that, since they earn their money with exclusive access to your data through their software.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Microsoft Project .MPP documents

Post by TheGurkha »

Hi and welcome to the forums.

There is no project planning facility within OpenOffice. I don't know of anyway to open these files natively. If the MS software can export to different formats perhaps you might be able to read them into say, Calc if it can be exported from MS Project to Excel?

OpenProj is an open-source Project planning software, if you have to stop using MS Project and you want to continue using Project management, I don't know about its import capabilities though.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust