Frontpage equivalent, yes or no?

Not sure where to post? Post here!
Lazarus Long

Frontpage equivalent, yes or no?

Post by Lazarus Long »

I've just downloaded the program but not installed yet. I have a specific task to perform: re-organizing my hard drive. I once used Frontpage to design web pages and thought it would be ideal for designing my new hard drive organization. While I will have other uses for OpenOffice, this is my first interest. If one of the other programs have suitable features to make designing such a system easy, let me know. Any helpful hints are to be valued.

Thanks
Laz
Last edited by Lazarus Long on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + XP-64
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Frontpage equavalent, yes or no?

Post by Villeroy »

No.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Hagar Delest

Re: Frontpage equivalent, yes or no?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Lazarus Long wrote:I have a specific task to perform: re-organizing my hard drive. I once used Frontpage to design web pages and thought it would be ideal for designing my new hard drive organization.
:shock:
What do you mean? How would an HTML editor help reorganizing your HD???
You can have a look at that topic Can I create a website??????? Don't forget to search the forum first. A query with the mere 'frontpage' keyword could have helped.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
keme
Volunteer

Re: Frontpage equivalent, yes or no?

Post by keme »

I must say I agree with Hagar de l'Est here. Admittedly, Frontpage does have a nice interface for browsing file and folder hierarchies and links between them. However, it's html-specific. That means you won't get any additional (linking) info on anything other than html files (that's documents for your web browser).

Worse: The moment you try to do anything meaningful, Frontpage will probably clutter your folder structure with extra folders for image and stylesheet files etc., according to the currently active website style.

Unless you have very specific needs, do yourself a favour and steer well clear of Front Page and any other web site editors for this purpose.
Use a file manager with panes for folder structure and folder content.

And to the question implied in the opening post, Villeroy provided the correct answer: no
Open Office will not help you a lot with organizing your files, Front page style or otherwise. The file open/save dialogs in the applications are very basic file management tools. Your OS most likely provides a better one.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10