[Solved] People I send to can't open email attachments

Not sure where to post? Post here!

[Solved] People I send to can't open email attachments

Postby Gibalto » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:40 am

Welcome beginner. What is your question or comment?
Please try to briefly and clearly tell us: What you want, What you tried, and What happened.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :)
Done - thank you

I have recently attached a couple of douments to emails which I saved in open document text. However the recipients of my emails could not open the attachments. I had to send them again in Microsoft Office document format.
Can anyone please help with this as I no longer wish to use Microsoft Office.

Thank you

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply. (TheGurkha, Moderator)
Last edited by TheGurkha on Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved].
OOo 2.3.X on Ms Windows XP
Gibalto

Re: email attachments

Postby TheGurkha » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:42 am

Hi and welcome to the forums.

A quick search of the forum would have found you dozens of threads on this already.

You need to Save As to generate a .doc file. If the person you're sending the email to doesn't have OOo, they can't open the OOo format of .odt.

File > Save As and select 'Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP' from the 'Save as type' dropdown menu. Make sure the 'Automatic file name extension' option is checked.

It is always safer to work in the native OOo formats (.odt and .ods etc) and then use Save As to save a copy in .doc or .xls format if you need to distribute it. But always then go back to the native OOo version to continue working. If the people you are sending to do not need to edit the files then it is best to send them a PDF as then no matter what office suite they use it will be possible for them to read and print the files.

If this has answered your question please go to your first post and use the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can use the green tick icon at the same time if you like.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] People I send to can't open email attachments

Postby fst » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:50 pm

Hi,

you may send them a link to the OOo download page or to the ODF Import filters for MSOffice developed by Sun Microsystems.

It can be found here http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/

Frank
Frank

If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
fst
Volunteer

Return to Beginners