Word Perfect and OpenOffice.org compatible?

Not sure where to post? Post here!

Word Perfect and OpenOffice.org compatible?

Postby TeddieS » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:34 am

Hi first thank goodness for this program it is and will make my life easier.
I am needing to set up 3 computers, my work computer, my home computer and the boss's laptop. They all 3 run different programs. Works, Corel and Office. My concern is that I need to convert all the Word Perfect and Quatro Pro files to Open office can it be done?????? Do all the computers have to have internet access?? The main work computer is not connected to the internet because my boss feels it isn't safe. Can I just burn a disc and take it over and install it?
Trouble I am having is the lap top runs Vista and the 2 desk tops run XP is that going to be a problem? I have to have all of it ready to set up by Monday and it looks like I will have a mess on my hands if I can't convert because it means I will have to copy and paste every single document from Word Perfect and Pray I can get the excel and quatro pro moved as well.
If any of you can tell me where I can go to get it all figured out I would appreciate it. I don't have time to hunt it down and to be honest, I just wish I could tell them to take a long walk on a short pier.
Thanks in Advance
TeddieS
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:20 am

Re: Word Perfect and Office compatible??

Postby Phil » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:45 am

Hi and welcome to the forum!

TeddieS wrote:Hi first thank goodness for this program it is and will make my life easier.

That's nice to hear! :)

TeddieS wrote:Works, Corel and Office. My concern is that I need to convert all the Word Perfect and Quatro Pro files to Open office can it be done??????

You can open those files directly in OpenOffice. So I think there is no need to actually convert them all straight away.
There is a sticky thread on working with WP files in the other forum: http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=21448

TeddieS wrote:Do all the computers have to have internet access?? The main work computer is not connected to the internet because my boss feels it isn't safe. Can I just burn a disc and take it over and install it?

You don't need internet access to install OpenOffice. Simply download the installer from http://download.openoffice.org/2.3.1/index.html?focus=download and copy it to a USB memory stick or burn it to a disc.

TeddieS wrote:Trouble I am having is the lap top runs Vista and the 2 desk tops run XP is that going to be a problem?

No, that should not be a problem at all.

Anyway, I wish you good luck! 8-)

KR, phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
Phil
Volunteer
 
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:35 pm
Location: Germany


Return to Beginners

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests