[Solved] MS Office users cannot open my attachments

Not sure where to post? Post here!
tomahawk

[Solved] MS Office users cannot open my attachments

Post by tomahawk »

When I attach an openoffice file to my email the people that I send it to (ms office users) cannot open my attachment. I thought openoffice was compatable with ms office. If not, what program is?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
Corfy
Volunteer

Re: ms office users cannot open my attachments

Post by Corfy »

For Writer files, you need to go to File->Save As... and change the "Save File Type As" to "Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP (.doc)".

Unless you are talking about Calc files, in which case you need to change it to "Microsoft Excel 97/2000/XP (.xls)".

Or if you are talking about Impress files, then you need "Microsoft PowerPoint 97/2000/XP (.ppt)".

OpenOffice.org's default file format (known as OpenDocument Format) is not supported by Microsoft Office, but as you can see, it is easy to save to a format that will be opened by them.
---
Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
OOo 2.4 on K/Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 and WinXP Pro and Home
Repossess your computer!
KAMI

Post by KAMI »

Ask you friend to install:
http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/get.jsp

ODF pugin makes MS Office to read ODF.
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

If you are already using "Save as" to save the files in a Microsoft format such as .doc, choose the 97/2000/XP options, which is the most compatible across Microsoft versions.

If that doesn't help, then e-mail itself could be the problem. Try uploading your files to http://www.mediafire.com/ and e-mailing the links instead of the files.

If any of the suggestions offered so far work, please let us know which one and add [Solved] to the subject line of your first post. If none of them work, please provide as many additional details as you can about exactly what you're working with and exactly how you're creating the files and sending them to other users.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit