Can I delete files in MS Word after saving in ODT for Open O

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Jaynamiah

Can I delete files in MS Word after saving in ODT for Open O

Post by Jaynamiah »

I cut and pasted from MSW to Open Office. I saved as ODT, it was already set to automatic OTD. But the document in my files list has the MSW logo not the OO logo. I tried deleting the original MSW document but it said I couldn't because it was already open. The only way I can open my OO doc is to go to OO on my computer, go to File and recent documents. Otherwise opening from my files, even if it says odt, it is still a Word document. Super confused as to why that is. Help! is there no way to just use Open office? I'm new to Open Office.
Open Office 4, Microsoft 2013
FJCC

Re: Can I delete files in MS Word after saving in ODT for Op

Post by FJCC »

You need to change the default program for opening odt files. Right click on a file icon and choose Open With. Writer will probably be listed among the options. If not, click More Apps and find Writer in that list. Select the box next to Always Use This App To Open ODT Files and then click on the Writer icon.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

If you saved your document in .odt format, then the file is an ODF document, and there is somewhere the original .doc or .docx document.

If the icons in the file explorer showss your files as "MS Office documents", then the file association is wrong in the Windows. Set it properly.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Jaynamiah

Post by Jaynamiah »

FJCC wrote:You need to change the default program for opening odt files. Right click on a file icon and choose Open With. Writer will probably be listed among the options. If not, click More Apps and find Writer in that list. Select the box next to Always Use This App To Open ODT Files and then click on the Writer icon.
I just tried that. I clicked on the document after doing that and it still opens in Word.
Open Office 4, Microsoft 2013
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

From the top of my head: right click on the file in the Windows Explorer. It lists a few programs that can open the file. Select More or Browse (haven't been on Windows for a looooong time, so forgot how it's called, please bear with me). You then get a new window where you can navigate to the program to open your file, and now comes the important part: and with an option to Always open files of that type with the program that you select (absent in the window with the default selection of apps to open the file). Navigate to the program folder of OpenOffice, select soffice.exe, tick that Always open ... and go for it.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Are the file extensions displayed in the Windows Explorer? Maybe there is an additional extension above the .odt.
Note that to delete a file, you need to close it first.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10