Can I make a feature suggestion?

Talk about anything at all....
llloyd4

Can I make a feature suggestion?

Post by llloyd4 »

Hello! I am curious, can I suggestion features for Open Office? As I have to be blind, I didn't see a board forum or what not for features to be suggested for consideration (and either 'round filed' or put into a queue with other features for future implementation ) . O.o As I recently started an accounting class and the class uses Office 2016, having used Calc for years, and the last Office I used was 97 I was floundering a bit with the new UI. So I was thinking maybe an option for people to swap the UI between the older 97 style and the newer 2016 style. Or when ever Microsoft decided to switch to a newer overly complicated 'let's hide everything in tabs' UI they use now days. For example, in 97 and Calc the "E" for "Sum everything in a group of columns/rows " is right out in the open, in 2016 I finally found it hidden on the Formula tab. >.< Anyway, just my two cents. Which, now days, doesn't even pay for the taxes. >.<
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10 Pro
robleyd

Re: Can I make a feature suggestion?

Post by robleyd »

Perhaps you are looking for [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Are you really sure that you are using OpenOffice? The OpenOffice GUI did hardly changed at all since version 2 of 2005.
Since 2011 there is a successor to OpenOffice called LibreOffice. They added more GUI options but it can be set up to use the classic menu bar. However, the menu is a bit different than the OpenOffice menu but conceptually it is the same and it is customizable.
OpenOffice is a dead project. The most active part of it is this forum. You can still post bugs and suggestions but I would not be surprised if OpenOffice 4.1.6 turns out to be the last version of OpenOffice. LibreOffice is actively developed since most of the OpenOffice developers switched over to the new project which is also more open to external developers.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
llloyd4

Post by llloyd4 »

Right, AOO is like Office 97 and that's what I am used to. At school they're using Office 2016 and it's using the MS ribbon gui and that confused the snot out of me.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10 Pro
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

llloyd4 wrote:Right, AOO is like Office 97 and that's what I am used to. At school they're using Office 2016 and it's using the MS ribbon gui and that confused the snot out of me.
What I tried to outline is that you can still make suggestions to the OpenOffice project but most likely they will never be implemented by anybody. You can install https://libreoffice.org/download/ in parallel to OpenOffice and try that. It opens the same types of files with better results when opening Microsoft Office documents. By default it starts with some application menu just like OpenOffice does but the menues are a little bit different. They tried to make it more logical to new users. Calc for instance has a menu bar with main items File, Edit, View, Formula, Styles, Sheet, Data, Tools, Window and Help. Some of the similar commands that used to be in menues "Edit" and "Insert" can be found under "Sheet".
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice