OpenOffice based on GraalVM

Talk about anything at all....
suhail_ansari

OpenOffice based on GraalVM

Post by suhail_ansari »

Hi,
I am Suhail from India, I am a regular user of OpenOffice. I have a suggestion, I think that OpenOffice shud b based on GraalVM because of GraalVM support of multiple programming languages. GraalVM is an extension of JVM and it will not only make OpenOffice more portable but it will also improve performance. Also extension developers for OpenOffice will b able to use any language of their choice for developing add-ons for OpenOffice. I hope that the OpenOffice community will seriously consider this suggestion.

Suhail Ansari
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice based on GraalVM

Post by Villeroy »

Since many years https://libreoffice.org/ is the successor to Apache OpenOffice. OpenOffice is almost dead by now.
Btw: OpenOffice is NOT a Java application. 95% of it run without Java. LibreOffice is in the process of removing all Java dependencies. There are still a lot of useful Java extensions though.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
suhail_ansari

Post by suhail_ansari »

GraalVM also support C/C++ programming language. If OpenOffice/LibreOffice use C/C++ then they can also use GraalVM.
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

There's a serious lack of developers, so that even fixing existing bugs is a pain. So, it's not going to happen.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
suhail_ansari

Post by suhail_ansari »

Most people who use smartphones already use Google Docs and they also use Google Docs on their PC, other people who want to use a paid office suit mostly use Microsoft Office. Very few people want to use OpenOffice/LibreOffice in their PC, I agree with you that most developers donot want to work and contribute to OpenOffice/LibreOffice project.
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Very few people want to use OpenOffice/LibreOffice in their PC, I agree with you that most developers donot want to work and contribute to OpenOffice/LibreOffice project.
Do not mix the AOO/LO project. The LibreOffice has a very active development team.
GraalVM is an extension of JVM and it will not only make OpenOffice more portable
The AOO and the LO has portable versions, and the the developers of the LO want decrease the Java dependency to ZERO.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.