LibreOffice or Apache OpenOffice? Differences, etc.?

Talk about anything at all....
jasonjacob
Banned

LibreOffice or Apache OpenOffice? Differences, etc.?

Post by jasonjacob »

Just to be clear, I'm an Office 365 user myself. I just had a coworker ask me (MFWTK, haha) about different Office suites. He said he uses OpenOffice and I said that's discontinued, we use LibreOffice (for a free solution) now. He said his was just updated. Looked into it and apparently OpenOffice was continued as Apache OpenOffice.

I've never heard of AOO before just now. I am actually not a fan of these suites, to be honest. They take ages to boot up, and I've always been something of an Office fanboy. But disregarding my bias for MS Office as it's not relevant here, should I still be advising LO for an offline office suite or does AOO warrant consideration as well now? I actually recommend MS Office first, Google Docs/Sheets second, and then LO.
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
keme
Volunteer

Re: LibreOffice or Apache OpenOffice? Differences, etc.?

Post by keme »

Cloud support has its advantages, so your order of priority makes sense. Some functionality is only available in installed applications, but much of that falls in the "special needs" category.

As for differences between LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice, the former has a more active development, which among other things also provides better support for MS Office formats, but reports of stability issues are slightly more frequent than for the latter. I like the appearance and functionality of Apache OpenOffice, and do not find it lacking in any areas of great significance. I use that as long as nothing dictates otherwise. (I also have O365 available, and the MS applications installed, for when I need MS compatibility. Must use that whenever I am working on documents in collaboration with workmates.) The general consensus between the two is, as your habit has been, to recommend LibreOffice.

So, the logical conclusion to your question is to continue your current practice. Advise LibreOffice as the free option for locally installed software. It is likely to be the optimal choice for most users.
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

Looking for RollApp solution
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Bidouille wrote:Looking for RollApp solution
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/li ... ce-online/
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Nice catch, RPG!

So, jasonjacob, are you one user we should watch?
Did you cross post here to get a second opinion, and just forgot the basics for crossposting (like tell us about it, and link back to the original posting)?
To most of us it looks more like a blatant copy of someone else's question, perhaps for the purpose of getting approval in this place. Why do you need it? Are you a spammer wanting to get inside?

Please explain!
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

OP is on permanent holiday from here; but the Reddit post was four months ago so unlikely to be inadvertent.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers