OOo1 - compatibility

Talk about anything at all....

OOo1 - compatibility

Postby nador » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:49 pm

I want to ask for this: when will be OpenOffice.org 1.1 compatible with OOXML file format? I cant open files from my friends and partners and migration on OOo2 or OOo3 isnt possible on my computers as well as migration on Abiword or others :-/. I know that this format is bad format, but i need it for my work :-/. Thanx.
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP + mandriva
nador
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:35 pm

Re: OOo1 - compatibility

Postby Villeroy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:06 am

Version 1.1.5 supports ODF.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.x
User avatar
Villeroy
Volunteer
 
Posts: 27105
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:35 am
Location: Germany

Re: OOo1 - compatibility

Postby nador » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:15 am

Villeroy wrote:Version 1.1.5 supports ODF.


Yeah, but i need OOXML, this is a file format from Microsoft, rival of ODF and also ISO standard and one of his form is used by MS Office 2007 and i need open pptx, xmlx and docx files as well as odt, odp and ods.
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP + mandriva
nador
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:35 pm

Re: OOo1 - compatibility

Postby Villeroy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:55 am

Use binar MS formats. Install Microsoft Office if you want OOXML. Possibly http://zamzar.com is good enough. Certainly you will never get such a filter in OOo1.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.x
User avatar
Villeroy
Volunteer
 
Posts: 27105
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:35 am
Location: Germany

Re: OOo1 - compatibility

Postby Cambirder » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:05 am

Just get your friends to stop using such an unfriendly format. 1.x is obsolescence and there will be no more development on it.

What is stopping you upgrading?
OOo 3.3 on Windows 7 & 3.2.1 on Mint 10
User avatar
Cambirder
Volunteer
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:01 am

Re: OOo1 - compatibility

Postby nador » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:08 am

Villeroy wrote:Use binar MS formats. Install Microsoft Office if you want OOXML. Possibly http://zamzar.com is good enough. Certainly you will never get such a filter in OOo1.


I will never use MS Office. Zamzar.com looks very good, thanx, bat it is not in function. This is begin of letter from zamzar: Hello from Zamzar ! There was a problem converting your file - We attempted to perform the conversion you requested from xlsx to ods but unfortunately the conversion failed - our support team have been notified and are looking into the problem.

Cambirder wrote:Just get your friends to stop using such an unfriendly format. 1.x is obsolescence and there will be no more development on it.

What is stopping you upgrading?


Yeah, my friends are maybe compliant to save their documents into .doc format, but my business partners arent. So this is a halfway solution :-/.

When exists expansion which can open .docx, .xlsx and .pptx in OOo2, why it is not possible make similar extension into OOo1.1? Where is problem? Up until now was OOo1.1 very good office suite, but now it cant open one of the most important (one of the most expanded) file format, which make this office suite very dificult usable and that is very pity. So i hope, that one developer can rebuild OOo2 extension on OOo1 extension and OOo1 will be again great office suite, thanx.

And to my upgrading: we have old computers thet are not able to execute newer offis suites and upgrade this computers is wery expensive for us. The secound reason is that we all know this suite and we want no to learn new suite, its very unprofitably for us.

So for all: Is any good and usable way to open .docx, .xlsx and .pptx file formats in OOo1.1 or convert it on other file format which is openable in OOo1.1?
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP + mandriva
nador
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:35 pm

Re: OOo1 - compatibility

Postby Hagar Delest » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:19 am

nador wrote:The secound reason is that we all know this suite and we want no to learn new suite, its very unprofitably for us.

2.4 is very similar to 1.1, with additional features so you shouldn't be lost (can you try on a single machine to see what it looks like?).
If you're running old versions of Windows (95, 98, ME), then you won't be able to install 3.0 indeed.
AOO 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 19.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 7 (with winPenPack port).
User avatar
Hagar Delest
Moderator
 
Posts: 28543
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:07 pm
Location: France

Re: OOo1 - compatibility

Postby Caracalla » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:27 am

nador wrote:So for all: Is any good and usable way to open .docx, .xlsx and .pptx file formats in OOo1.1 or convert it on other file format which is openable in OOo1.1?

I suppose you could get OOo 3 when it comes out (any day now) and use that to convert the files to something OOo1 can read. But, why not just use OOo3? There is not going not be any more developement on OOo 1.
Has your question been answered? Then please add [solved] to the title of your thread.
My pet peeve, No support for international ordinal numbering
please vote

Er is nu ook een Nederlandstalig forum!
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Opensuse 11.1
Caracalla
Volunteer
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: Netherlands, EU

Re: OOo1 - compatibility

Postby nador » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:37 am

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
nador wrote:The secound reason is that we all know this suite and we want no to learn new suite, its very unprofitably for us.

2.4 is very similar to 1.1, with additional features so you shouldn't be lost (can you try on a single machine to see what it looks like?).
If you're running old versions of Windows (95, 98, ME), then you won't be able to install 3.0 indeed.


Requirement of OOo1.1 are: "Pentium compatible PC, 64 MB RAM, 250 MB available hard disk space"
Requirements of OOo2 are: "Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000 (Service Pack 2 or higher), Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista; 128 Mbytes RAM; At least 800 Mbytes available disk space for a default install (including a JRE) via download. After installation and deletion of temporary installation files, OpenOffice.org will use approximately 440 Mbytes disk space; 800 x 600 or higher resolution with at least 256 colours"
Its not the same :-(
Java on my computers also can run very slowly, so i need older version, which is i think faster :-(

Caracalla wrote:
nador wrote:So for all: Is any good and usable way to open .docx, .xlsx and .pptx file formats in OOo1.1 or convert it on other file format which is openable in OOo1.1?

I suppose you could get OOo 3 when it comes out (any day now) and use that to convert the files to something OOo1 can read. But, why not just use OOo3? There is not going not be any more developement on OOo 1.


It isnt possible get OOo3 for me on my computers, see up in the previous reply, please.
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP + mandriva
nador
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:35 pm

Re: OOo1 - compatibility

Postby Caracalla » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:53 am

It might be helpful if you told us your system specifications.
Has your question been answered? Then please add [solved] to the title of your thread.
My pet peeve, No support for international ordinal numbering
please vote

Er is nu ook een Nederlandstalig forum!
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Opensuse 11.1
Caracalla
Volunteer
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: Netherlands, EU

Re: OOo1 - compatibility

Postby nador » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:07 pm

Caracalla wrote:It might be helpful if you told us your system specifications.


The oldest my computer where must be executable office suite is AMD K6 266MHz, 96MB RAM and 3GB HDD (very low of space for suite, smaller is better and needed). Specification of the others computers are similar and the best computer is 700MHz, but its only one comp :-/

But i rather want dont make changes in my office suite. I need only convertor or extension or anything else what will be helpful for open MS Office 2007 documents in my OOo1.1.
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP + mandriva
nador
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:35 pm

Re: OOo1 - compatibility

Postby Cambirder » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:30 pm

There are on line converters you could use such as Zamzar ( http://www.zamzar.com/conversionTypes.php ), but that may carry a risk if your documents contain sensitive information.

Only a very arrogant or ignorant business partner should be sending out documents in a format half the world can't read, I really think you need to educate them.

Alternatively you are going to have to bite the bullet and get at least one PC running with 3.0 even if you only use it to convert .docx files. This will mean it will require upgrading to XP, or shifting it on to Linux though.
OOo 3.3 on Windows 7 & 3.2.1 on Mint 10
User avatar
Cambirder
Volunteer
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:01 am

Re: OOo1 - compatibility

Postby nador » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:53 pm

Cambirder wrote:There are on line converters you could use such as Zamzar ( http://www.zamzar.com/conversionTypes.php ), but that may carry a risk if your documents contain sensitive information.

Only a very arrogant or ignorant business partner should be sending out documents in a format half the world can't read, I really think you need to educate them.

Alternatively you are going to have to bite the bullet and get at least one PC running with 3.0 even if you only use it to convert .docx files. This will mean it will require upgrading to XP, or shifting it on to Linux though.


I found this utility now: odf-converter-integrator. It looks fine for my need. Do you also think that is good for me? Do you have any experiences with this utility? Work it OK and with OOo1.1? Adress is http://katana.oooninja.com/w/odf-converter-integrator
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP + mandriva
nador
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:35 pm

Re: OOo1 - compatibility

Postby Cambirder » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:01 pm

I have no experience of it, but the owner of it is a member here so you might get some better advice later.

In the mean time I would just give it a try.
OOo 3.3 on Windows 7 & 3.2.1 on Mint 10
User avatar
Cambirder
Volunteer
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:01 am

Re: OOo1 - compatibility

Postby Villeroy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:36 pm

nador wrote:
Villeroy wrote:Version 1.1.5 supports ODF.


Yeah, but i need OOXML, this is a file format from Microsoft, rival of ODF and also ISO standard and one of his form is used by MS Office 2007 and i need open pptx, xmlx and docx files as well as odt, odp and ods.

You may ask those who are running their "big irons", creating documents on the "bleeding edge of high technology". Ask them to install http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/index.jsp in order to be even more creative.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.x
User avatar
Villeroy
Volunteer
 
Posts: 27105
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:35 am
Location: Germany


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests