Can no longer open files

Talk about anything at all....
Smallelk

Can no longer open files

Post by Smallelk »

I can no longer open any files in any of the applications. Click on open and nothing happens.
Tried creating a document, clicked on SAVE and that window doesn't open either.
Any ideas? I have re-installed the program. Libre Office works fine.
Thank you, Dolores
OpenOffice 4.1.6 Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Can no longer open files

Post by RusselB »

If LibreOffice is working fine, then I'd suggest just using it.
While LibreOffice has abilities that OpenOffice doesn't (eg: the ability to save in .???x formats), I'm unaware of anything that OpenOffice has that LibreOffice does not.
I realize this isn't an answer, but I can't think of why you would be having the difficulties you have mentioned, so this is another option.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A frequent cause of this is a left-over OO (or LibO) process. Start TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill all "soffice" processes shown on TM's tabs. Then close TM and start OpenOffice. Note the initial "s" in "soffice".
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

As I understand it, OpenOffice can actually be opened but the Open and Save dialogs aren't displayed when clicking File > Open and File > Save. If that's what's happening, try the solutions posted here:

Dialog windows do not display and the program appears to freeze
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04