Export Win Explorer folder columns/properties of each file

Talk about anything at all....
willincalif

Export Win Explorer folder columns/properties of each file

Post by willincalif »

I'm looking to export the data that's in columns of specific windows folders in Windows 10.
Situation: I have hundreds of photos in windows folders. I'm trying to determine which camera settings work the best for specific pictures and situations. So I have about 18 columns of info such as focal length, exposure bias, F-stop, metering mode etc.
If I could export the data in to calc I could sort all kinds of ways, giving me valuable data for the future.

I did read some older posts about this but either the OO functions had changed or it wasn't the same situation.

Thank you for helping me figure this unique challenge out.

Will in Calif
Last edited by willincalif on Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
William Burch
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Export Win Explorer folder columns/properties of each fi

Post by robleyd »

I've moved your topic to General Discussion as your problem seems external to OpenOffice.

It sounds like you are dealing with EXIF data, but it isn't clear from your question as to whether you have already collected the data into a single location, or whether you only see individual data for each image.

Apparently this isn't a unique requirement, as there is apparently software available that will do a bulk export of EXIF data in CSV format, suitable for importing into a database or spreadsheet - perhaps this may be the solution you need? If so, this web search may point you in the right direction.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
willincalif

Post by willincalif »

Thank you David for the quick response. I did the search you suggested and tried several options, including pixfiler, which is something else.
The data I want to add to calc looks like the attachment, which is a partial screenshot of a windows folder. I do not want to include the actual files.
I'm using windows 10.
Best,
Will
Attachments
the data looks like this.a.jpg
William Burch
merlijn

Post by merlijn »

If I understand correctly, you want what you see in the columns in windows explorer to be copied to calc? There is a tool called BulkFileChanger that you can use to do that.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bulk_file_changer.html
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10 x64
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Clearly that is EXIF type data, so I'm curious as to why the dedicated software that is around doesn't meet your needs?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
willincalif

Post by willincalif »

Hi again David.
The exif pilot software only has 5 columns of data to start. I add new columns but it just keeps "processing" the data endlessly and nothing changes.
Maybe I would need to buy the batch editor to get all the fields I want (and Support). It's $80 I'm not ready to spend.

Yes, it is exif data but truthfully I could use a tool that compiles folder columns data for other file types too (pdf, ods etc).

I realize that this is really a windows challenge and has little to do with OO. So I'm also seeing what the windows forums have to say.

Will
William Burch
willincalif

Re: To Merlijn Win Explorer folder columns/properties

Post by willincalif »

Thanks Merlijn. I wish it worked. It does not provide the columns/data I need. Just basic stuff and there is no way to add more columns of data. See attached screenshots. (not sure they will be big enough)
Attachments
Screenshot (138a).png
Screenshot (138a).png (13.58 KiB) Viewed 6652 times
Screenshot (138).png
Screenshot (138).png (10.78 KiB) Viewed 6652 times
William Burch
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Having too much time on my hands, I went to http://www.br-software.com/download.html, downloaded the Exif Extractor, installed it in a Windows 7 virtual machine and ran it against a selection of 20 images I prepared earlier :D First run I asked for all the data, second run I limited it to a subset. Results are attached.

Note: when you define the output file, use the full path to the file, otherwise the program will try and place the output in the location where the program was installed and you'll get some permission errors. I know this because...
Attachments
exifdata_part.csv
A subset of the available data
(5.04 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
exifdata_full.csv
All the available data
(5.04 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
willincalif

Post by willincalif »

Both data sets are exactly the same.
William Burch
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

User error - by me :D Let me try again.

Looks to me as though there is software out there that may meet your needs; I don't think I can offer anything more useful - hopefully your other resources will help if you need more.
Attachments
test.csv
All the available data
(5.99 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
test2.csv
A subset of the available data
(5.04 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
merlijn

Re: To Merlijn Win Explorer folder columns/properties

Post by merlijn »

willincalif wrote:Thanks Merlijn. I wish it worked. It does not provide the columns/data I need. Just basic stuff and there is no way to add more columns of data. See attached screenshots. (not sure they will be big enough)
You're right, sorry about that answer, too quick, too easy.
I did find another tool though, there is one little catch: Windows users will hate it, because it's a command line thingy, so no nice graphical user interface and no drag and drop.

The next bit is not related to AOO/LO:

The tool is called ExifTool and you'll find it at https://sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
You might have to do some reading and trying yourself before you can get it to do what you want, (for further questions I suggest a forum like stackoverflow or a bit of googling).
I downloaded it, unzipped it and renamed the exe-file to exiftool.exe, (removing the (-k) part of the name)

At http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/examples.html
I found a nice example, (item nr 7) that lists meta information in tab-delimited column form for all images in directory to an output text file named "out.txt":
exiftool -T -createdate -aperture -shutterspeed -iso C:\location_of_your_images > out.txt

That creates a tab delimited text file of which you can import the contents into a calc sheet and manipulate it in anyway you like.

Hope this works better for you.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10 x64