Share documents

Talk about anything at all....
jwshelly1

Share documents

Post by jwshelly1 »

How can I share documents between 2 users on the same processor? I can only load a document as read only or a copy and I cannot save a modified copy of the original - "insufficient user rights"
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: share documents

Post by robleyd »

By "processor" I presume you mean computer.

Modern operating systems allow files to be restricted to a single user, so you need to make your files shareable. Your issue is not specific to Apache OpenOffice - were you wanting to share any files you have produced, be they MS Office or whatever you would have the same issue.

This page provides information on how to Share or Transfer files between User Accounts on Windows 10/8/7

If you cannot save a copy, it suggests that you may not have rights to save in the location you have chosen.
 Edit: More information about sharing from this web search 
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
keme
Volunteer

Re: Share documents

Post by keme »

From the symptoms you mention, I suspect that the other user may still have the file open, and you just switched logged-in user.

Spreadsheets can be edited concurrently by several users. I have seen a limit of 3 simultaneous editors, but that is a while ago. Haven't tested. Also, I don't know whether the users need to be "live" for this to work. A user switch may defeat the mechanism.

Other OpenOffice documents cannot be concurrently edited by multiple users.

Another possible cause: OpenOffice file integrity assurance relies on the creation of lock files, not file properties or other filesystem locking mechanisms. I assume that this approach requires shared access to the folder where the lock files are created (usually the same folder where the file itself is stored). Do you have folder rights, or just file rights?

Can you save a copy of the edited file to the same folder, using a different name? (creating a new file)
Can you save a copy of the edited file to your documents folder?