[Solved] Conditional Formatting - Ignore Blank Cells

Talk about anything at all....
AndrewD

[Solved] Conditional Formatting - Ignore Blank Cells

Post by AndrewD »

I am making a tracker that will track the status of items that have been ordered for work. Currently one of my formatting rules reads as =$I2<>$C2, but I am trying to edit it so that it will ignore blank cells in column I and will not change their formatting.

I have found a previous post with the example =AND(NOT(ISBLANK($I2<>$C2))), but this didn't seem to work for me.

Disclaimer: I am still rather new to the complex workings of Excel and don't know much about conditional formatting or macros. I'm mainly relying on examples I have found on forums.
Last edited by AndrewD on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Office 2013, Windows 10 Enterprise
RoryOF

Re: Conditional Formatting - Ignore Blank Cells

Post by RoryOF »

I can't help with your problem, but before anyone else points it out, if you are using OpenOffice, then you are using Calc, which is in many ways functionally equivalent to Microsoft Excel, but is not a clone of it, so there are differences in the codes used for programming it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

I am not sure of the condition you are trying to match. Does this work for you?

Code: Select all

=AND(NOT(ISBLANK($I2)); $I2<>$C2)
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
AndrewD

Post by AndrewD »

FJCC wrote:I am not sure of the condition you are trying to match. Does this work for you?

=AND(NOT(ISBLANK($I2)); $I2<>$C2)
That code didn't seem to work at all, it just gave me an error saying that Excel doesn't recognize the formula. As I previously mentioned, I am still very new to this and don't have a grasp on all of the functions yet. Here is a screenshot of what I'm referring to. The I column is showing red for blank cells, I'm trying to make it so that it only shows red if the value entered into the cell does not match its counterpart in column C.

My computer is acting strange, so if the image doesn't show up just let me know.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Sorry, I didn't read your signature. You are using Excel and I haven't used that in years. This forum supports OpenOffice and LibreOffice, not Microsoft Excel. You will likely get better answers on a Microsoft Office forum. The one change to my formula that I can suggest is to replace the semicolon with a comma

=AND(NOT(ISBLANK($I2)), $I2<>$C2)
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
AndrewD

Post by AndrewD »

Thank you for the help, I see the confusion now.