Best document format for reading with smallest file size.

Talk about anything at all....
rupeshforu3

Best document format for reading with smallest file size.

Post by rupeshforu3 »

Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have the habit of reading ebooks on android tab. I am having upto 25 GB of PDF books.

I have downloaded the PDF books legally and with the permission of site owner if you don't trust me I am ready to provide it's address.

Previously I have downloaded a djvu file of size 7 mb from some web site and at that time I can't find any reader for opening and reading it so I have converted it to PDF and surprisingly the PDF file generated was 300 mb.

Upon analyzing the above anyone can say that there is another format for document reading with lowest file size.

Upon compressing to another format I think that total size of files may be reduced to 5 to 6 GB.

Actually the PDF files I have consists of scanned images from a text book. I think that djvu is the best format for storing scanned images at lowest file size.

If you know any other format for document reading with smallest file size please suggest it and also the software which converts PDF to it. If you think djvu is the best please suggest a converter which converts in batch from PDF to djvu.

Regards,
Rupesh.
OpenOffice on opensuse leap 42.2
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Best document format for reading with smallest file size

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
musikai
Volunteer

Post by musikai »

After reading the links from villeroy about djvu I think it really could be a good format for your PDFs.
You have to look for a good djvu reader for your android device of course.
In your signature it says you are on Linux so you could make use of the commandline tool pdf2djvu.
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1935973

djvu seems to be superior to PDF with scanned documents.
rupeshforu3 wrote:Previously I have downloaded a djvu file of size 7 mb from some web site and at that time I can't find any reader for opening and reading it so I have converted it to PDF and surprisingly the PDF file generated was 300 mb.
This is a bit extreme. There are also different compression and quality settings possible for PDF and this sounds like a really bad setting when generating your PDF.
You could possibly also get smaller PDFs from your PDFs by running them through Ghostscript.
https://www.tjansson.dk/2012/04/compres ... der-linux/

Both described ways are only for converting a single document so if you want to convert a lot of files in batch then you would need to make use of a batch script.
Win7 Pro, Lubuntu 15.10, LO 4.4.7, OO 4.1.3
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
http://struckkai.blogspot.de/2015/04/li ... itect.html
rupeshforu3

Post by rupeshforu3 »

Yesterday I have created a thread on how to count number of pages in PDF and djvu files and one of you replied that this is not the place. Is it true. I have created that thread because both are document formats.
OpenOffice on opensuse leap 42.2
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Apache OpenOffice creates documents in ODF. A completely different beast.
"Document" is quite a generic term!
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10