Missing Roomy Bookmarks in Firefox 57 on Linux

Talk about anything at all....
RoryOF

Missing Roomy Bookmarks in Firefox 57 on Linux

Post by RoryOF »

Those using linux may be affected by the recent upgrade of Firefox to version 57. A side effect to this Upgrade is that Roomy Bookmarks toolbar is not compatible. There is a workaround, as follows:

Enable viewing of hidden files in your file manager (in my case, using Ctrl H in Thunar). In your home folder you should find .mozilla. Change into the firefox folder. Look for a folder with a name similar to vb4brtgj.default with the current date. Change into that folder. If there is then a chrome folder, change into that. If not, make a folder called chrome (case is important, as always on linux).

If the folder already exists look for a file userChrome.css (note the middle capital C); if that doesn't exist, make such a file with in the chrome folder with a plain text editor. Then add the line

Code: Select all

toolbarbutton.bookmark-item > label { display: none !important; }
and Save the file.

Restart Firefox and the bookmarks toolbar should show only the icons of the bookmarks.

Note: some users have reported that the file name should be UserChrome.css. That didn't work for me; I had to use userChrome.css
Also, some sources suggest that the first line of the file should be (before the other line)

@namespace xul url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);
Other sources say this is not necessary. I inserted it with the other line and all worked well once the file was correctly named to userChrome.css

On my system the full path and name of the file is as follows:

/home/rory/.mozilla/firefox/vb4brtgj.default/chrome/userChrome.css 
 Edit: This will not restore the full functionality of Roomy Bookmarks, but will at least give a toolbar with a full screen-width of bookmarks, which will popup their name when hovered over. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS