[Solved] Master Password

Talk about anything at all....
Oneita

[Solved] Master Password

Post by Oneita »

I am new to the forum, but would like to say I have use open office for several years and I have been very pleased with it. I use it in many ways to security to office docs to PDFs. I am concern that anyone could open my laptop and click on the OO icon & get into my most secured documents. I have come across using a master password & default master password. I search but cannot find out how to create one. I would like to create a passcode or master password that would prevent anyone from getting into all my docs. Could anyone help, please. Thx!
Last edited by Oneita on Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice.org 3.1
Acer Aspire ES7-111m Laptop with Windows 10 using Google chrome
MTP
Volunteer

Re: Master Password

Post by MTP »

I think the OpenOffice "master password" option is for connecting to websites (e.g. if you have a stock spreadsheet that connects to a broker site to download the latest stock information). I don't think that is applicable to securing documents local to your machine.

If you go into Tools→Options, then under "OpenOffice" click on "Security", and then click on "Options", there is a checkbox "Recommend password protection on saving". Maybe try checking that and see what it does.

Also, doesn't your laptop have a password? You can set up Windows (or Mac, if that is what you use) to require entering the password whenever the laptop has been idle for a while. This would be simpler than setting passwords on every OpenOffice document.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10, HSQLDB 1.8 split database
Oneita

Re: Master Password

Post by Oneita »

Thx MTP. You were a big help. Followed your directions & check the box, but nothing happen. I tried the help button>index>password and were able to set up a PW. Tried it on my docs and it worked great. I do have a PW you have to use to get into my laptop plus a security system, but I was hacked last week while I was online under the pretense that my PC was infected which it wasn't. I was able to save everything before they could do danger to it. Now I know all my docs are safe. Thanks again.
OpenOffice.org 3.1
Acer Aspire ES7-111m Laptop with Windows 10 using Google chrome