Contemplating the possible retirement of Apache OpenOffice

Talk about anything at all....
witstert

Re: Contemplating the possible retirement of Apache OpenOffi

Post by witstert »

kingfisher wrote:The techrepublic article is dated September 14, 2016. I misread that date, thinking it was a recent article. I am not familiar with the language used in the tweakers article.
The language is Dutch.
Ooo 4.0.1; Windows 8
Dangling Wrangler

Post by Dangling Wrangler »

Well my timing is GREAT then, as I have ended my use of Open Office after 15+ years
The latest version 4.1.7 sealed the deal with the update for me two days ago, as I hated it immediately and installed Libre Office just this morning. The progress until the last version was always making it better. I blame it on the reprobate scum Oligarch, Larry Ellison in purchasing Sun and dropping the ball on Open Office.
Sad, but I wish the best of luck to all ! :super:
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10 Pro
Windows 10 Pro
Build 18362.19h1
Release190318-1202
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Why did you "hate it immediately"?

It has minor fixes and improvements, no great change in appearance or performance on earlier versions. It is generally admitted to be very stable, more stable than LibreOffice, and if one doesn't need the extra features and changed menus of LibreOffice, it makes sense to stick with it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

There were subtile differences between OpenOffice.org 2.4, 3.0 and one visible addition, the sidebar, to version 4.0. AOO 4.1.7 is almost the same application as 4.0 of 2011. Apart from the logo on the welcome screen, you can not detect any difference to a 15 year old version "immediately".
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

It is generally admitted to be very stable, more stable than LibreOffice,
It is not always true on Windows 10...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
timnobodygrunet

Post by timnobodygrunet »

I have been using this program for years as an alternative for the big bucks alternative. I have often seen the requests for additional help from programmers to keep this alive. Sadly I am not a programmer but a simple user. I have created databases, rich documents and somewhat advanced spreadsheets for work and now since retiring for personal and friends use. I am also the President of our retirement community's non-profit homeowners association and in the middle of revamping our documentation, accounting and general operations. The change relies heavily on the use of this program as most people here don't have the ability to spend what is needed for the Microsoft alternative. I have the help of some younger residents (in 50's early 60's) who have IT and website programing experience.

WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP KEEP THIS VIABLE?? Give me some direction. I am experienced is sales, highly technical welding, laboratory gases/equipment, cryogenic equipment, auto repair specifically in computers and the electronic/mechanical systems to control all. I am a hardware person. If I can be of value to this, USE ME.

PS: I make a mean batch of chili if you have a fundraiser.
Open Office 4.1.7 on Windows 10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

While OpenOffice is, generally, considered to be more stable than LibreOffice, LibreOffice does have some advantages over OpenOffice.
LibreOffice is more compatible with OpenOffice than M$Office is.
I can't think of anything in OpenOffice that LibreOffice has difficulties with, thus all of your documents, spreadsheets and databases that were made using OpenOffice should work fine in LibreOffice.
You can have OpenOffice and LibreOffice installed on the same system, just remember that the last program installed will be the default for the associated file types.
If you want to try LibreOffice, it is available in versions that can be run from a flash/jump drive and you can use these same forums if you have difficulties with any of your current (and new) projects using LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice.
Realistically, unless you are a programmer that is willing to volunteer your time, there isn't much (if anything) that you can do to help keep OpenOffice viable.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
NZ_LinuxStudent

Post by NZ_LinuxStudent »

I have been using ApacheOpenOffice for many years now, and I do not believe it should be retired. We should not move away from all the hard work that has been put into the Apache Foundation. This software is current and user friendly, and it is still alive and being updated. All those whom have the required skills and abilities to contribute to the project should get in touch, and get involved! https://openoffice.apache.org/get-involved.html
OpenOffice 4.5.0 on LMDE 4 Debbie
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Since many years developers list is full of requests for support from people who fail to compile the monster. The stack of outdated tools and languages is too difficult to comprehend.
LibreOffice invested years of hard work to make the code more accessible and this has become the result: https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/li ... penoffice/
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Ginsense

Post by Ginsense »

oh wow :| I can't imagine my world without OOo. I have it on my desktop, and added it to my laptop. You go everywhere I go. I don't know lots about coding or developing but I do know business ops and boards. Maybe they need to develop some 'incentives' to attract and keep developers? Do some research on what developers need? nobody likes any hint of micro-management. It takes the 'creativity' away which needs freedom. :super:
a blogger on the lookout for a hop ' :)
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 10
XeataOne

Post by XeataOne »

I just want Apache and the OO devs to know how valuable OO is - particularly compared with LibreOffice. My suspicion is that many in the LO crowd don't even USE the product beyond a basic word-processing, basic spreadsheet. LO is too "cool" to focus on the stability I think serious end users require, prefering to keep the project moving forward over stability. OpenOffice is noticeably more stable and does everything one requires without fuss.

Ignore the UX - it's perfect already. Ignore the autoupdate feature until that "nice to have" hits the top of the priority list (tell users to use Ninite for now). Ignore the demands for "more features" that nobody actually needs. Ignore the inexperienced young devs clamouring for "more python-esque" foolishness.

I am not currently in a place, today, to offer coders - but my company is working directly toward that goal. It is our intention to try and provide help where we can, as we can. But for now, guys, please, realize how great OO is and stay true to the model of solid software. "Do one thing, do it well".

And thank you. All of you.
OpenOffice 4 on MacOS
Petibonix

Re: Contemplating the possible retirement of Apache OpenOffice

Post by Petibonix »

Not a Subject for the general public
Windows 10
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Hagar Delest

Re: Contemplating the possible retirement of Apache OpenOffice

Post by Hagar Delest »

That's why you decided to revive the topic by posting in it.
How clever!
:bravo:
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10