Copyrighted wiki

Talk about anything at all....

Copyrighted wiki

Postby kozuch82 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:06 pm

As I saw OpenOffice.org Wiki:Copyrights, I will never contribute to such a project myself. Why free licence cant be used?
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP + Ubuntu
kozuch82

Re: Copyrighted wiki

Postby TheGurkha » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:03 pm

What do you mean by free? The fact that it is copyrighted doesn't mean you can't distribute for free, as OOo is.

It is sensible, standard practice to copyright any creative intellectual product or output, even if you are going to give it away.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Postby kozuch82 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:49 pm

By free i mean some free licence - like GFDL or Creative Commons Attribution.

You are not right - there is huge difference between free code of OpenOffice.org (which is GPL) and free accessible OO.o wiki (which is copyrighted to Sun). Give away my contributions to Sun is just not the correct way.

I just want to point this issue out, hopefully it was made by a mistake and will be corrected soon.
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP + Ubuntu
kozuch82

Postby acknak » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:35 pm

Sorry, but I'm not sure that you clearly understand this issue.

First, this forum has no official connection with OpenOffice.org, so there's absolutely nothing we can do about the copyrights and licenses on the OOo wiki.

Second, the page you pointed to says: "Copyright 1999-2008 by the contributing authors and Sun Microsystems, Inc." (my emphasis). As I read it, that means that nothing is "given away to Sun". The authors of the material continue to hold the rights to their content: they can do anything they like with it, including giving it away, but it is up to the author, not to Sun. Sun can also do as they like with it.

Finally, since you obviously care about this issue, you must know that there is little consensus on how to freely license written material. Free licenses for computer code are popular and work well; the same licenses do not work so well for written material. I expect it would be practically impossible to find one license that all contributors to the OOo wiki would agree to. Perhaps that is why there is no license specified--I know nothing of the process behind the policy. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find lots of discussion from a search of the openoffice.org site.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby TheGurkha » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:35 pm

Sorry if I wasn't clear, what I meant was that it isn't mutually exclusive.

I'm sure anything that you submit as source code to OOo is also then copyrighted by Sun, even if it is then given away under the GPL. It is one of the standard forms that have to be signed by developers before any of the source code is accepted for inclusion into OOo.

See this post: Re: Community driven?

Same thing goes for the Wiki, you and Sun would be joint copyright holders.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Return to General Discussion