Default email program

Talk about anything at all....
tfm1

Default email program

Post by tfm1 »

exactly how do I go about changing the default email program? In my 3.4 version of openoffice when I hit the "send as email" key it automatically goes to a now defunct email provider. no help in the help manual.
openoffice 3.4 windows 7
RoryOF

Re: default email program

Post by RoryOF »

Change settings in /Tools /Options /Internet /email

Note that Options is under Preferences on a Mac
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
tfm1

Post by tfm1 »

sorry tried it. typed in the new email address but I think this page is asking for my address but is not selecting the new email provider as a new default still goes to the old default provider.

thanx
openoffice 3.4 windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Some email systems do not work - I can't reliably tell you which these are. I cannot help further; I have no experience of this as, being old school, I attach a file to an email using a dedicated email program on the very rare occasions I need to send a document.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

@tfm1: What operating system are you using? In Windows, the default email program is set in Windows. There shouldn't be an email program setting in OpenOffice.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
KristopherB

Re: Default email program

Post by KristopherB »

Can we change it to gmail?... i think so
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
keme
Volunteer

Re: Default email program

Post by keme »

KristopherB wrote:Can we change it to gmail?... i think so
Yes, and no. You do not select Gmail directly in the operating system settings(*).

There are two steps required:

In the operating system you set the default installed program to use for email. This may be the mail client integrated in the OS, MS Outlook, Thunderbird, or any of a legion of others.
In the chosen mail client you set the default mail account to use. This may be the mail service provided by your ISP, Gmail, Outlook/hotmail, or any of a legion of others.

The specific procedure to change these settings depends on the particular solution chosen.

(*) Insofar as ChromeOS is an operating system, my claim may be false, depending on how deeply the mail functionality is integrated in the operating system. Also, command line versions of Unix/linux have a "mail" command integrated in the system. For setups I know and use, the above describes the situation accurately (although the installed mail client may in some cases have the menus available in system dialogs so they appear as system settings).